Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Are you supportive of Nuclear power in Australia?

Yes    
  13 (50.0%)
No    
  10 (38.5%)
Undecided    
  3 (11.5%)

Total votes: 26
« Created by: Captain Nemo on: Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:45pm »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 29
Send Topic Print
Dutton reveals 7 sites for nuclear power plants (Read 10136 times)
Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Dutton reveals 7 sites for nuclear power plants
Reply #180 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 4:40pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 2:24pm:

The people outside the latte lapping urban bubble understand the benefits of nuclear power as opposed to the environmental disaster of 'renewables'. Smiley

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #181 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 5:03pm

That Biloela farmer near the Callide Power Station said that he was quite happy to have nuclear power.

Darren Jensen: "Bring it on".

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #182 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 5:28pm

Belgarion wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 4:40pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 2:24pm:

The people outside the latte lapping urban bubble understand the benefits of nuclear power as opposed to the environmental disaster of 'renewables'. Smiley

But unfortunately, if the AGW scientists are correct (and the climate around the globe really DOES appear to  be getting VERY nasty...),  we need to roll out renewables ASAP, given the more-than-a-decade timeline for nuclear electricty into the grid.  We have sufficient gas to firm up a maximum speed  roll out of renewables - the cheapest and fastest form of new zero-emissions  energy production.  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #183 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 5:32pm

...and we can replace those ageing coal-fired power stations whilst those renewable energy sources do their part.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #184 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 5:50pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 3:27pm:
Engineers factor in Consequences of Failure with solar you're one big hailstorm away from the lights going out.

Quote:
The 'next big hailstorm' will destroy solar panels and the 'lights will go out'

Former ANSTO Chief Executive Dr Adi Paterson says the next “big hailstorm” will result in Australia losing “500 megawatts” of power.

Opposition Leader Peter Dutton announced the Coalition’s nuclear policy last week, including the seven proposed sites for the nuclear reactors.

“My fear for the Sydney basin is what I call the big hailstorm,” Dr Paterson said.

“When the big hailstorm comes, and a big hailstorm will come in the next 20 years, we will lose 500 megawatts of power in the Sydney Basin which is keeping the lights on.

“That is AEMO’s plan.

“This hail will smash the panels on our roofs, and the lights will go out.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/the-next-big-hailstorm-will-destroy-solar-p...

8 minute interview with Dr Adi Paterson is worth watching he debunks AnAls bullshit while giving his thoughts on our nuclear direction

If you don't know what ANSTO is you could check his credibility on nuclear science- https://www.ansto.gov.au/

Big hailstorms will also damage turbine blades.

Hailstorms have already damaged numerous solar farms

When was the last time that large hailstones fell over the whole city?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #185 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 5:59pm

freediver wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 5:50pm:

Every year in my town. Sometimes we have a winter wonderland of hail. "Large hailstones" as in the size of golf balls or bigger.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #186 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:03pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 5:59pm:

Every year in my town. Sometimes we have a winter wonderland of hail. "Large hailstones" as in the size of golf balls or bigger.

How big is your town? Does it produce 500 MW of electricity from solar? Or do you not understand what we are talking about?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

goosecat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #187 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:17pm

"
Hail storms underestimated

Today, hail remains an little-discussed problem for Sydneysiders. Professor Alan Jeary of the School of Engineering at University of Western Sydney says houses still aren’t built sturdily enough to withstand big hail events.

Sydneysiders remain complacent, he warns, especially if they have tile and slate roofs. It only takes stones 4cm in diameter, which fall once a year, to break new concrete. Stones 6cm in diameter fall once every two years and huge, cricket-ball-sized hailstones (8cm in diameter) rough Sydney up every 5-10 years.

Between 1968 and 2005 hail was responsible for over one-third of the country’s total natural hazard insurance claims and more than 75 per cent of these were in NSW.
"

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/blogs/on-this-day/2013/11/on-this-day-in...

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #188 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:18pm

freediver wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:03pm:

How big is your town? Does it produce 500 MW of electricity from solar? Or do you not understand what we are talking about?

Earlier, a poster mentioned putting solar panels out in the desert. That is great. But I bet any wild storm would see an end to those panels in a great hurry. Mum and Dad had to replace their solar panels on their house after Cyclone Marcia.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #189 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:41pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:18pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:03pm:

Earlier, a poster mentioned putting solar panels out in the desert. That is great. But I bet any wild storm would see an end to those panels in a great hurry. Mum and Dad had to replace their solar panels on their house after Cyclone Marcia.

You seem to be missing the point. I was responding to this:

Quote:
When the big hailstorm comes, and a big hailstorm will come in the next 20 years, we will lose 500 megawatts of power in the Sydney Basin which is keeping the lights on.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #190 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:42pm

Yes, freediver. A large hailstorm will take down a solar farm.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #191 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:46pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 6:42pm:
Yes, freediver. A large hailstorm will take down a solar farm.

What about taking out 500 MW of solar in Sydney? Or do you still not get the point?

We have had a large power station throw a turbine recently that caused massive blackouts, but I do not recall renewables ever causing one.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #192 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 7:01pm

My parents had to replace their solar panels after Cyclone Marcia. Cyclone Marcia was a category 2 storm at worst in Rockhampton. So, I dare say that a large hailstorm in Sydney would take out a large proportion of solar panels. That is, unless those solar panels have some kind of large scale protection from these storms.

At least Brian had some credibility of having solar panels out in the desert, so that wild, damaging storms are a rare occurrence.

IP Logged

Daves2017
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #193 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 7:33pm

I think it's a great idea if it provides cheaper energy to both households and industry after the disaster that labor has created by privatisation of electricity.

If it's voted down I ask, to be consistent we should also immediately stop exporting uranium!

Can those against nuclear explain why they have no issues with us supplying the rest of the world with the base nuclear fuel?

Does it suddenly become safer and environmental friendly once loaded on a boat and shipped offshore??

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #194 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 8:53pm

Daves2017 wrote on Jun 23rd, 2024 at 7:33pm:
I think it's a great idea if it provides cheaper energy to both households and industry after the disaster that labor has created by privatisation of electricity.

I think you'll find that most privatisation efforts have been undertaken by the Tories, Dave.  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2024 at 9:01pm by Brian Ross »  

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 29
Send Topic Print