Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Are you supportive of Nuclear power in Australia?

Yes    
  13 (50.0%)
No    
  10 (38.5%)
Undecided    
  3 (11.5%)

Total votes: 26
« Created by: Captain Nemo on: Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:45pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29
Send Topic Print
Dutton reveals 7 sites for nuclear power plants (Read 10123 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Dutton reveals 7 sites for nuclear power plants
Reply #75 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 2:17pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 19th, 2024 at 4:26pm:
MattE wrote on Jun 19th, 2024 at 4:22pm:
1. The nuclear power prohibition is legislated. Just like all legislation, it can be repealed. If Dutton were to win the election, he would have a mandate to remove the prohibition.

Not the state legislation.

He can over-ride State Legislation, if he gets his prized Seat of Power in Potato Head Land.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 3:06pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 2:17pm:
1. The nuclear power prohibition is legislated. Just like all legislation, it can be repealed. If Dutton were to win the election, he would have a mandate to remove the prohibition.

He can over-ride State Legislation, if he gets his prized Seat of Power in Potato Head Land.

No, he can't.

He can only try to pay them off.

When asked how he'd overcome this hurdle (state legislation), Dutton was rather blunt, referencing a famous Paul Keating quote.

"Somebody famously said 'I would not stand between a premier and a bucket of money', and we've seen the premiers in different debates before where they've been able to negotiate with the Commonwealth, and we'll be able to address those issues," he told reporters.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 3:19pm

Nuclear proposal rejected by premiers, who say Dutton has no power to lift state nuclear bans

NSW Premier Chris Minns and Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said even if Liberal leader Peter Dutton managed to lift the federal nuclear ban, he would also have to overcome bans at a state level.

"We've got our ban in place … if there’s a constitutional way for a hypothetical Dutton government to move through the state planning powers, I'm not aware of it, but that's probably a question for him to answer," Mr Minns said.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #78 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 3:40pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 3:19pm:

Nuclear proposal rejected by premiers, who say Dutton has no power to lift state nuclear bans

NSW Premier Chris Minns and Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said even if Liberal leader Peter Dutton managed to lift the federal nuclear ban, he would also have to overcome bans at a state level.

"We've got our ban in place … if there’s a constitutional way for a hypothetical Dutton government to move through the state planning powers, I'm not aware of it, but that's probably a question for him to answer," Mr Minns said.

While that's true, the Feds can't lift the ban via the state laws, they can use Federal law to overrule them entirely, but it would set a dangerous precedent that the usual libertarian Coalition supporters would be outraged over, traditionally anyway.

Will of the people and all.

But somehow, I suspect those who now are painting anything that benefits Indigenous Australians as "Lawfare" to implement the voice by stealth and find that the height of outrage, you'd think they'd also object to this.

But somehow I feel like they'd be perfectly find with this "lawfare".

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 3:44pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 3:40pm:

While that's true, the Feds can't lift the ban via the state laws, they can use Federal law to overrule them entirely, but it would set a dangerous precedent that the usual libertarian Coalition supporters would be outraged over, traditionally anyway.

Dutton's solution is to pay off the Premiers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #80 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:02pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 3:44pm:
SadKangaroo wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 3:40pm:

Dutton's solution is to pay off the Premiers.

It's getting more expensive by the minute.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #81 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:03pm

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:08pm

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #83 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:22pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 11:10am:
Frank wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 10:44am:
Just build new, efficient coal/gas power stations.

yes - we have plenty of gas that we give away to other countries and
we have top quality anthracite coal in the Bowen basin in QLD.
Both have low emissions and we're happy to sell them to other countries
to burn as much as they want - go figure?

Also - Dutton's nuclear ideas may end after WW3 starting in Europe via Ukraine.
Nuclear power stations become targets and can melt down in any war.
The Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Station has already been hit.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:29pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:08pm:

This is simply legalese waffle. These regulations she refers to can be undone by the government of the day, they are not constitutional changes. Of course the Luddites will need convincing and this video is a sample of the bullshit they will peddle.  But as the majority of Australians are in favour of nuclear power they will find themselves on the wrong side of history.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #85 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:36pm

Quote:
These regulations she refers to can be undone by the government of the day

How long do you think that will take?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:45pm

we have 800 years of coal in qld

not a chance renewables are going to replace that

just a few blackouts and a few election losses due to blackouts and it will be dust off the coal plants and fire them up  Smiley

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:52pm

freediver wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:36pm:
Quote:

There will be resistance by those who put their ideology above the national interest, so it will take longer than it needs to. However once the public becomes better educated the support base these idealouges rely upon will all but vanish. It is happening now, as noted above the majority of Australians favour nuclear power.
https://www.nuclearaustralia.org.au/australian-support-for-considering-nuclear-e...

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #88 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 5:03pm

Belgarion wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:52pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 20th, 2024 at 4:36pm:
Quote:

There will be resistance by those who put their ideology above the national interest, so it will take longer than it needs to. However once the public becomes better educated the support base these idealouges rely upon will all but vanish. It is happening now, as noted above the majority of Australians favour nuclear power.
https://www.nuclearaustralia.org.au/australian-support-for-considering-nuclear-e...

Progress.

How long will "educating the public" take?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Jun 20th, 2024 at 6:03pm

Australia’s Energy Production, Consumption and Exports

Australia has an estimated 46 per cent of uranium resources, 6 per cent of coal resources, and 2 per cent of natural gas resources in the world. In contrast, Australia has only about 0.3 per cent of world oil reserves.
Australia produces about 2.4 per cent of total world energy and is a major supplier of energy to world markets, exporting more than three-quarters of its energy output, worth nearly A$80 billion.
Australia is the world’s largest exporter of coal. Coal accounts for more than half of Australia’s energy exports. Australia is one of the world’s largest exporters of uranium, and is ranked sixth in terms of liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports. In contrast, more than half of Australia’s liquid fuel needs are imported.
Australia is the world’s twentieth largest consumer of energy, and fifteenth in terms of per capita energy use.
Australia’s primary energy consumption is dominated by coal (around 40 per cent), oil (34 per cent) and gas (22 per cent). Coal accounts for about 75 per cent of Australia’s electricity generation, followed by gas (16 per cent), hydro (5 per cent) and wind around (2 per cent).

https://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/energy/overview

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29
Send Topic Print