Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Most farmers getting less rain (Read 1358 times)
SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Re: Most farmers getting less rain
Reply #30 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 11:22am

Interesting that the catchment areas for most of the proposed Nuclear sites are in the areas experiencing the decline in rainfall.

What could possibly go wrong.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #31 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 11:38am

LOL, the Bradfield scheme might get implemented or we need one SMR to power all the massive reverse osmosis water purifying installations needed to turn seawater into fresh water!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 12:13pm

freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 10:22am:
Quote:
heres the graph of drought conditions for europe for the last century

doesnt look like much of a "trend"

And yet there is a trend line in your plot. Honestly scoot, your strawmen are getting stupider by the day.

really?

i think you suffer from "imaginitis"

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #33 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 12:45pm

The summer was underwhelming for rainfall, here. But other places saw heavy rain totals. This was during an El Nino phase. The last two days here have been consistent rainfall during our (Rockhampton's) dry season. I wish we had more days like this during the summer months.

I spent time in 2010/2011 where we got about 1600mm of rainfall for the year. Another year, we only saw 270mm of rainfall (helped by a late December rainfall). We are expected to enter a La Nina phase by the end of the year. And when we get to that point, it is expected that we have flooding rainfall.

At this stage...
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #34 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 12:51pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 11:38am:
LOL, the Bradfield scheme might get implemented or we need one SMR to power all the massive reverse osmosis water purifying installations needed to turn seawater into fresh water!

The Bradfield scheme is one big waste of time and resources. It won't be implemented. Better to spend billions on developing an inland river system so that the rainfall that is received out west will not pool in few locations. Make some dams and have river systems that do exist to be channeled into them. Ideally, this can be near townships.

At this stage...
IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 12:57pm

With this less rainfall  - it is amazing that crop yields keep increasing.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #36 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:00pm

lee wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 12:57pm:

Better farming practices.

At this stage...
IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:33pm

Yep. So rainfall is NOT the be all and end all.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #38 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:37pm

lee wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:33pm:
Yep. So rainfall is NOT the be all and end all.

Our farmers developed a work ethic that they have to be obsessive-compulsive about how they farm. They cannot just rely on it raining every week to keep from suffering drought conditions.

The only way our farmers would have better crop yields would be if a volcano sprouted up off the west coast of Australia and started spewing volcanic ash for a week of every year.

At this stage...
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:51pm

aquascoot wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 12:13pm:
Quote:

And yet there is a trend line in your plot. Honestly scoot, your strawmen are getting stupider by the day.

really?

Grin

Own goal.

It's the black dashed line scoot.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:55pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:00pm:

yields are ok but the price of crops (and hence the price of food for urban consumers ) is going to climb very steeply.

1 the AVERAGE age of a farmer in australia is now 60 and many are about to retire
2 the younger generation DO NOT want to work the land
3 energy prices are the main cost of input now, electricity for running irrigators is extremely expensive
4 water prices are going to go up a lot (i am currently on a licence to pump whatever i like, this is changing in the next few years to compulsory meters , which we have to pay for, and a charge per megalitre
5 fertiliser and herbicide costs have increased a lot as these are generally relient on the petro chemical industry
6  the biosecurity costs around fire ants which are being passed over to the producer are significant
7  labor is hard to secure
8  the value of the land is very high (farmers are very asset rich and cash flow poor).  as urban folk continue to bid up rural prices with a tree change, many productive farmers will cash out and the land will become non productive back yard 

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #41 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 2:04pm

My own daughter works on a farm, and she is also a nurse with Queensland Health. Even if she works long hours in the hospital, she also makes time to help her partner on the property she lives.

At this stage...
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 3:44pm

aquascoot wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:55pm:

yields are ok but the price of crops (and hence the price of food for urban consumers ) is going to climb very steeply.

1 the AVERAGE age of a farmer in australia is now 60 and many are about to retire
3 energy prices are the main cost of input now, electricity for running irrigators is extremely expensive
4 water prices are going to go up a lot (i am currently on a licence to pump whatever i like, this is changing in the next few years to compulsory meters , which we have to pay for, and a charge per megalitre
5 fertiliser and herbicide costs have increased a lot as these are generally relient on the petro chemical industry
6  the biosecurity costs around fire ants which are being passed over to the producer are significant
8  the value of the land is very high (farmers are very asset rich and cash flow poor).  as urban folk continue to bid up rural prices with a tree change, many productive farmers will cash out and the land will become non productive back yard 

This has been going on since the industrial revolution. Food has gotten cheaper. It used to be that close to 100% of human effort was devoted to feeding ourselves. No-one is taking up farming because that number is now just a few percent and still dropping.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 3:57pm

freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:51pm:
aquascoot wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 12:13pm:
Quote:

really?

Grin

Own goal.

It's the black dashed line scoot.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/album/forum-attachments/european_drought.jpg

are you channelling John Smith
Percentage of Europe experiencing moderate drought conditions during the 20th century
the black line shows that on average, 20 % of europe experiences drought each year and the TREND line shows that it was 20 % a century ago and 20 % at the end of the century.  ie   there is no more drought today then 100 yrs ago (at least in europe).

please re read and apolgise Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 4:03pm

freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 3:44pm:
aquascoot wrote on Jun 27th, 2024 at 1:55pm:

This has been going on since the industrial revolution. Food has gotten cheaper. It used to be that close to 100% of human effort was devoted to feeding ourselves. No-one is taking up farming because that number is now just a few percent and still dropping.

garbage food has gotten cheaper.

and hence health has suffered

The University of Southern Queensland associate professor says Australian farmers are seeing steep increases in expenses.

Dr Lyons said costs had increased roughly 30-to-60 per cent in the past five years, largely due to fuel and stronger industrial relations laws.

In comparison, Dr Lyons said tinned produce was typically done very cheaply overseas in enormous quantities by large conglomerates.

He said canned food had a much longer shelf life, meaning it was easier to produce and store in bulk without worrying about spoilage.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print