Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NDIS to cost $100b, exceeding the pension: budget (Read 663 times)
JC Denton
Gold Member

NDIS to cost $100b, exceeding the pension: budget
Jun 30th, 2024 at 11:18pm

https://www.afr.com/policy/economy/ndis-to-cost-100b-exceeding-the-pension-budge...

this thing is a colossal waste of money, ive never heard of anything like it in the world. what makes it unique is it gives its own providers  an incentive to help people commit fraud. the power of free-markets have been harnessed to maximise the amount of welfare fraud, which is unheard of in the history of welfare programs. it's essentially the completely useless jobactive unemployment 'support' network but for disability support, with the exact same flawed private provider design.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2024 at 11:23pm by JC Denton »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Re: NDIS to cost $100b, exceeding the pension: budget
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 1:55am

My mental health was at a point where I needed to go to disability support services for job networking. Maybe NDIS costs $100 billion in the budget. But, without it, you might see a waste of billions more on just funding people to sit at home on a disability support pension. I know of a guy that has cerebral palsy. He is able bodied enough to stand at a checkout counter and help people with their groceries. He is doing what he can for the how his life has eventuated. I bet he thanks things like NDIS for getting him where he is.

At this stage...
IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 7:48am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 1:55am:
My mental health was at a point where I needed to go to disability support services for job networking. Maybe NDIS costs $100 billion in the budget. But, without it, you might see a waste of billions more on just funding people to sit at home on a disability support pension. I know of a guy that has cerebral palsy. He is able bodied enough to stand at a checkout counter and help people with their groceries. He is doing what he can for the how his life has eventuated. I bet he thanks things like NDIS for getting him where he is.

wtf???? you can get NDIS and the dsp at the same time. the DSP eligbility requirements have been tightened to a degree that virtually all the people only on NDIS but not on DSP would never also be able to get the DSP.

IP Logged

Aquarius

Australian Politics

Northern Beaches
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 8:53am

The whole scheme is just so open to fraud. Criminals have been posing as providers to use NDIS participants' money for organised crime. Funds have been spent on drugs, holidays and cars. The NDIS will cost an estimated $44 billion this financial year and as it is estimated that at least one fifth of that money will be siphoned off by crime syndicates that means $8 billion worth of funding this year will not be going to the people it is intended for.

Only a Labor govt could devise such a scheme - totally inefficient and economically unsustainable. Thanks Julia.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:00am

Aquarius wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 8:53am:
The whole scheme is just so open to fraud. Criminals have been posing as providers to use NDIS participants' money for organised crime. Funds have been spent on drugs, holidays and cars. The NDIS will cost an estimated $44 billion this financial year and as it is estimated that at least one fifth of that money will be siphoned off by crime syndicates that means $8 billion worth of funding this year will not be going to the people it is intended for.

Only a Labor govt could devise such a scheme - totally inefficient and economically unsustainable. Thanks Julia. 

These are remarkable claims. Can you support them?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Aquarius

Australian Politics

Northern Beaches
Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:08am

mothra wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:00am:

Those claims were made by the NDIS watchdog according to the ABC.

I cannot give you the link because I haven't made 100 posts as yet.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:10am

Aquarius wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:08am:

You don't know how to copy and paste?

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:15am

Quote:

both the liberals and labor have allowed it to become what it is. trying to make this partisan is retarded. the problem is the private delivery publicly funded model, which is how everything is always done in australia and why everything always gets rorted (see also jobactive, which has bipartisan support).

IP Logged

Aquarius

Australian Politics

Northern Beaches
Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:20am

It was Julia Gillard's legacy.  Now we're stuck with it.   Angry

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:22am

Aquarius wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:20am:
It was Julia Gillard's legacy.  Now we're stuck with it.   Angry

great, and the libs were in power for years and did f_ck all about it.

IP Logged

Aquarius

Australian Politics

Northern Beaches
Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:24am

mothra wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:10am:

Of course I know how to copy and paste!   Roll Eyes 

But now I see I have hit the magical 100 posts!  So here is one of the links ... there are several though.  It's easy enough to find them.

You do know how to search for a link to the ABC on the NDIS? 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-04/ndis-scam-fraud-participants-manipulated-australia/103934188

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:31am

Aquarius wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:24am:

But now I see I have hit the magical 100 posts!  So here is one of the links ... there are several though.  It's easy enough to find them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-04/ndis-scam-fraud-participants-manipulated-australia/103934188

You know that 5% and one fifth is not the same thing, yeah?

And absolutely nowhere in that article does it claim that all misbegotten spending was due to organised crime.

Utter lack of comprehension of the electorate. Thatss the bloody problem with this country. The absolutely hilarious way tings are twisted.

Too much information for the unwary. Hell. they'll buy any old crap.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:45am

the spending is just because all the costs are often unaccounted for so people are charging way more for services and provisions that would cost less anywhere else. there's not enough oversight and it's probably not possible to provide it anyway given the absolute scale and rapid growth of the scheme. providing a properly oversighted scheme would cost as much as the NDIS itself. i have nfi where this organised crime thing came in but it's probably bullchit or exaggerated.

IP Logged

Aquarius

Australian Politics

Northern Beaches
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:49am

mothra wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:31am:

And absolutely nowhere in that article does it claim that all misbegotten spending was due to organised crime.

Utter lack of comprehension of the electorate. Thatss the bloody problem with this country. The absolutely hilarious way tings are twisted.

I only mentioned one fifth because that was in the article.  You got any problems - take it up with the ABC. 

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 12:54pm

Aquarius wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:49am:
mothra wrote on Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:31am:

I only mentioned one fifth because that was in the article.  You got any problems - take it up with the ABC. 

But the article didn't say one fifth ... it said 5%.

This is why i ask you if you understand the difference between one fifth and 5%.

You've misunderstood the article and gone on to publicly claim that the NDIS is losing 20% of it's funding to organized crime. Absolutely nowhere in the article is that claim made.

What is claimed is that some money was lost to organized crime and in total, around 5% is unaccounted for.

Do you see where you went wrong yet?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print