Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
What is Australian culture? (Read 3400 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
What is Australian culture?
Jul 11th, 2024 at 12:30pm

Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars?

Holden cars are gone which was 25% of Australian culture.

Does that mean there is a big unfilled hole in Australian culture.

I once did a guided tour of a UK  stately house with a friend.

The guide was extolling French paintings, Flemish tapestries, Spanish timber mantlepieces and staircases.

I loudly exclaimed to my friend. These pommies have no culture at all. They stole everything.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: What is Australian culture?
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 1:02pm

Pig dogging.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 1:05pm

tallowood wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 1:02pm:
Pig dogging.
[medi]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vytRcjTq5w[/media]

Is it lawful?

Does the church approve?

What would Australian Jesus do?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Frances
Gold Member

Australian Politics

In a Castle in the Hills
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 1:39pm

Tried to post an image but it didn't work......
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2024 at 1:48pm by Frances »  

Sure God created man before woman. But then you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 2:14pm

Frances wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 1:39pm:
Tried to post an image but it didn't work......

Australian culture is a blank slate?

A self-erasing culture?

A black hole?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 2:20pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 2:14pm:
A black hole?

That sounds racist Shocked

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 2:28pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 1:05pm:
tallowood wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 1:02pm:
Pig dogging.
[medi]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vytRcjTq5w[/media]

Is it lawful?

Does the church approve?

What would Australian Jesus do?

Quote:
On private property with permission of the landowner or manager. » In NSW, there are 189 State forests where you can hunt pigs with dogs. You must have a current R-Licence and written permission from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) Game Licensing Unit.

Quote:
So Jesus gave them permission. The evil spirits came out of the man and entered the pigs, and the entire herd of about 2,000 pigs plunged down the steep hillside into the lake and drowned in the water

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 3:04pm

We don't really have a culture of our own.

Some would say the larrikin, have-a-go mentality and mateship were the exemplars of our culture, but COVID shows that were all utter bullshit.

The moment the going gets tough it's "bugger you, I've got mine" and "Don't tell me what to do" and even mask wearing was treated as the biggest injustice in the history of the world, akin to communism horrors and this simple act of personal responsibility too much to ask for to help your fellow Aussie when it was thought it could help reduce the spread of respiratory droplets and transmission.

No, we don't really have any culture of our own.

We've been heavily influenced by British colonisation. Many of our institutions, legal systems, and cultural practices derive from British traditions.

Our population is highly multicultural, with significant influences from various immigrant communities. This diversity is sometimes seen as overshadowing a distinct, unified Australian culture.

Much of our entertainment and popular culture, including movies, music, and fashion, is heavily influenced by American and British trends.

Some argue that mainstream Australia has not sufficiently integrated or acknowledged Indigenous Australian cultures, which have a rich and ancient heritage.  Any attempt to do so with things like welcome to country and other ceremonial duties triggers the usual suspects.

We simply lack a unique cultural identity.

Unless you consider the alcohol-fuelled, gambling-addicted and wife-beating elements our culture, which I hope not.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 5:53pm

Quote:
Our population is highly multicultural, with significant influences from various immigrant communities. This diversity is sometimes seen as overshadowing a distinct, unified Australian culture.

Australia is fundamentally an Anglo- British country with significant American and some continental European influences, mainly Italian, French, German.

I am not aware of any significant cultural influence by Arabs, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Vietnameseetc, etc. Beyond their food and ghettos. I do not see Australian adopting Indian, Chinese, Muslim tastes in art, literature, cinema, values, sensibilities, politics, outlook, language etc.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 6:42pm

Frank wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 5:53pm:
Quote:

Australia is fundamentally an Anglo- British country with significant American and some continental European influences, mainly Italian, French, German.

I am not aware of any significant cultural influence by Arabs, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Vietnameseetc, etc. Beyond their food and ghettos. I do not see Australian adopting Indian, Chinese, Muslim tastes in art, literature, cinema, values, sensibilities, politics, outlook, language etc.

That is the closet pom culture?

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 8:20pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 3:04pm:
We don't really have a culture of our own.

Some would say the larrikin, have-a-go mentality and mateship were the exemplars of our culture, but COVID shows that were all utter bullshit.

The big cities are like that, but not in the bush

The Aussie culture is still alive and well in rural areas. "Mateship" is still a big part of our culture out here in the bush, among traditional Aussies

And there's still an acute understanding of our "Australian" language with all it's Aussie slang etc

Meddling governments haven't succeeded in squashing our culture ... yet

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Daves2017
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 11:34pm

I totally understand where sad kangaroo is coming from!

I don't see much culture in Australia apart from yougurt!?!

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 12:01am

As I said - all the way back to the very beginning, when groups began to coalesce and form a 'social identity' - culture was present.  That's why we call the Aboriginal Hunter Gatherer mode of life a Culture.... same as the Eskimos or the North American Indians or the Chinese or Japanese.... and god forbid... even the Europeans!!

ALL had a Culture/were part of a Culture - doesn't mean that every individual was exactly the same.....

You'll need a book to lay out what Australian Culture is.... and people here can't even follow my small scale dissertations that are as careful as I can be to state everything because the Dork Society jump on any single word you use that they haven't followed in discussion before... you can't just accept that a concept is settled with that kind....

Now then - about this equality for all..... Albo handed his mate the new 'governor-general most hated ever' an extra $200k because - wait for it - she did not already enjoy a military superannuation pension!!   Now that, Poppets, is what those idiots call 'equity' - but it sure as hell ain't equality ......... I piped Albo a line and said:- "I take it that now all pensioners will receive the same if they are not in receipt of a service super pension of some magnitude?"

Who the Hell are you gonna call next election?  Ghost Busters?  They're the only sensible ones left.... and the lots we have are not of The Australian Culture.... we abhor grifters and bludgers and liars....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 12:31am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 12:01am:
As I said - all the way back to the very beginning, when groups began to coalesce and form a 'social identity' - culture was present.  That's why we call the Aboriginal Hunter Gatherer mode of life a Culture.... same as the Eskimos or the North American Indians or the Chinese or Japanese.... and god forbid... even the Europeans!!

ALL had a Culture/were part of a Culture - doesn't mean that every individual was exactly the same.....

You'll need a book to lay out what Australian Culture is.... and people here can't even follow my small scale dissertations that are as careful as I can be to state everything because the Dork Society jump on any single word you use that they haven't followed in discussion before... you can't just accept that a concept is settled with that kind....

Now then - about this equality for all..... Albo handed his mate the new 'governor-general most hated ever' an extra $200k because - wait for it - she did not already enjoy a military superannuation pension!!   Now that, Poppets, is what those idiots call 'equity' - but it sure as hell ain't equality ......... I piped Albo a line and said:- "I take it that now all pensioners will receive the same if they are not in receipt of a service super pension of some magnitude?"

Who the Hell are you gonna call next election?  Ghost Busters?  They're the only sensible ones left.... and the lots we have are not of The Australian Culture.... we abhor grifters and bludgers and liars....

Grappler's nonsensical word-salad rants don't elaborate on the invisible Australian culture.

Perhaps the answer is that one attribute of Australian culture is flying under the radar avoiding being noticed or nominated for anything. Sitting quietly at the back of the room and never raising your hand.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 1:54am

Daves2017 wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 11:34pm:
I totally understand where sad kangaroo is coming from!

You must be living in a big city, because that's what sad kangaroo's post is about

The Australian culture has been obliterated in the major cities

To see the Aussie culture that still exists, one must reside in rural areas for a while where there's a vast majority of traditional Aussie constituents

It binds rural folk together, and because of our Aussie culture, we are not strangers to one another, as people are in the big cities these days

Murals on silos, entertaining passing travelers and towns folk

Birdsville Races road trip, watch right through - happy faces - enjoying their Aussie culture

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:20am by Bias_2012 »  

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print