Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
What is Australian culture? (Read 3401 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Re: What is Australian culture?
Reply #120 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 9:12am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Jul 14th, 2024 at 8:18am:

The ideal of mateship undoubtedly evolved from the same sensibility as the revolutionary French republican ideal of fraternité - that of a national brotherhood in defence of the people against tyranny, class injustice and adversity.

Mateship excludes women.

Australians are not Francophiles.

Defence is a burden on the underclasses and excludes the wealthy from service.

Tyranny is a symptom of authoritarianism and there is no evidence of any Australian movement against it.

Australians are obedient followers of internet culture.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #121 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 9:43am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Jul 14th, 2024 at 9:12am:

The ideal of mateship undoubtedly evolved from the same sensibility as the revolutionary French republican ideal of fraternité - that of a national brotherhood in defence of the people against tyranny, class injustice and adversity.

Mateship excludes women.

Tyranny is a symptom of authoritarianism and there is no evidence of any Australian movement against it.

Mateship does not exclude women any more than fraternity, 'all men created equal' and 'brotherhood of man' do.

Mateship/fraternity has nothing to do with Francophilia.

During the 18th and 19th centuries of Australian settlement, there was a distinct divide between the ruling classes and 'the common man' - particularly in the playing out of English-Irish animosity transplanted in Australia - hence the enduring popularity of the Ned Kelly legend, not to mention the Eureka Stockade.

The attempt to create an Australian aristocratic class in the 19th century was ruthlessly lampooned in Australia - the Bunyip Aristocracy - and condemned as an attempt to create an authoritarian oligarchy.

You are a good example of an obedient and mindless follower of internet culture.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #122 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 10:33am

Democrats encouraged it

images_255.jpeg (24 KB | 4 )
images_255.jpeg

IBI

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 12:04pm

Mateship excludes women.

"She's good sport"

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #124 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 12:06pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 14th, 2024 at 10:33am:
Democrats encouraged it

On that picture the right ear seems to be intact.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #125 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 12:31pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Jul 14th, 2024 at 9:43am:

Mateship excludes women.

Mateship does not exclude women any more than fraternity, 'all men created equal' and 'brotherhood of man' do.

Mateship/fraternity has nothing to do with Francophilia.

During the 18th and 19th centuries of Australian settlement, there was a distinct divide between the ruling classes and 'the common man' - particularly in the playing out of English-Irish animosity transplanted in Australia - hence the enduring popularity of the Ned Kelly legend, not to mention the Eureka Stockade.

The attempt to create an Australian aristocratic class in the 19th century was ruthlessly lampooned in Australia - the Bunyip Aristocracy - and condemned as an attempt to create an authoritarian oligarchy.

You are a good example of an obedient and mindless follower of internet culture.

Being mindless and obedient is an aspiration for MeisterEckhart who associates with dolts like Grappler and Yadda.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #126 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 2:36pm

No worries. She'll be right mate. OY OY OY.

This discussion turned up nothing for white Australians.

The only culture that was identified was Aboriginal culture.

The only common attribute of non-Aboriginal Australians was multiculturalism which is not particularly Australian.

Australia awaits the first non-Aboriginal Australian philosopher to emerge sober from the mysterious outback to help Australians find themselves.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #127 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 3:30pm

Four features of non-Aboriginal Australianism have persisted since settlement to the present day: egalitarianism, antiauthoritarianism, fraternity (mateship) and irreverence.

These features occur in other cultures worldwide, with Irish culture most resembling non-Aboriginal Australian culture. What distinguishes Australian culture from Irish culture is largely a product of geography, geology and climate.

Features of Australian Aboriginal cultures are those of tribal / clan hunter-gatherer cultures also found worldwide.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #128 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 7:13pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Jul 15th, 2024 at 3:30pm:
Four features of non-Aboriginal Australianism have persisted since settlement to the present day: egalitarianism, antiauthoritarianism, fraternity (mateship) and irreverence.

These features occur in other cultures worldwide, with Irish culture most resembling non-Aboriginal Australian culture. What distinguishes Australian culture from Irish culture is largely a product of geography, geology and climate.

Features of Australian Aboriginal cultures are those of tribal / clan hunter-gatherer cultures also found worldwide.

So, "egalitarianism, antiauthoritarianism, fraternity (mateship) and irreverence" in Australia are rendered unique by "product of geography, geology and climate"? According to MeisterEckhart.

Fat chance.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #129 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 9:03pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Jul 15th, 2024 at 2:36pm:
The only common attribute of non-Aboriginal Australians was multiculturalism which is not particularly Australian.

Multiculturalism in Australia is a political construct, for legislation of laws to minimize discrimination

Other than that, the natural core Aussie culture is what is generally accepted as the main culture

You can't fight it forever, it's just a fact you need to adapt to

If you're really not sure of all the ingredients of the Aussie culture, devote more of your time to studying it

Not accepting what we've been explaining to you, is being flippant, and we are beginning to feel we are wasting our time posting

If you've got a beef with the Poms, fine, but us Aussies have our own identity, our own culture, and own lifestyle, they are predominate in the Australian social and cultural landscape

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #130 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 9:46pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jul 15th, 2024 at 9:03pm:
Laugh till you cry wrote on Jul 15th, 2024 at 2:36pm:

Multiculturalism in Australia is a political construct, for legislation of laws to minimize discrimination

Other than that, the natural core Aussie culture is what is generally accepted as the main culture

You can't fight it forever, it's just a fact you need to adapt to

If you're really not sure of all the ingredients of the Aussie culture, devote more of your time to studying it

Not accepting what we've been explaining to you, is being flippant, and we are beginning to feel we are wasting our time posting

If you've got a beef with the Poms, fine, but us Aussies have our own identity, our own culture, and own lifestyle, they are predominate in the Australian social and cultural landscape

Is Australian culture a secret that Australia is trying to hide from the world to prevent a rush of immigrants?

... or, it it BS? There's nothing to see.

... or is it the mysterious outback that has taken the lives of many who have traveled into the desert to find it?

Pray tell.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #131 - Jul 24th, 2024 at 12:56pm

Elon Musk would not need to brain-chip Australians. Obedience of Australians is genetic.

It is like the British genetic trait to form a line behind somebody who is motionless for too long.

"I think we still have that British uptightness, a fondness for rules and rigidly adhering to them (just look at our bureaucracy). Also the repression, dare I say toxic masculinity to some degree, social policing."

https://www.escape.com.au/travel-advice/australians-reckon-theyre-relaxed-are-th...

Quote:
... We're not as politically or socially 'chill' as people think

You think this place is chill?

We might have a reputation as a 'lucky country' so propped up by mining wealth we don't need to worry about anything, but, as Reddit user TheNamelessComposer in the AskAnAustralian Reddit group explains, we have our share of social and political problems.

"I know either way you can't generalise a nation of 26 million individual human beings," TheNamelessComposer began, before going on to do his best to generalise a nation of 26 million individual human beings, "who vary as humans do anywhere, but the popular image of the Aussie overseas is some easy-going, laid-back larrikin: Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin, some random stockman, surfer etc."

"They don't get too worked up about things, take it as it comes, like a joke etc. But even if we take city folk, as most of us are, how true is this, really?"

"Maybe things have changed, but I feel in many ways Aussies as a whole aren't really that laidback, easy-going. The whole 'she'll be right' mentality, either. I think we still have that British uptightness, a fondness for rules and rigidly adhering to them (just look at our bureaucracy). Also the repression, dare I say toxic masculinity to some degree, social policing."

"I also feel there's a definite undercurrent of aggression in Australian society, regardless of how one appears on the outside. E.g. road rage, a lot of random verbal aggression etc on the street, I mean there are other issues at play. Many also seem pretty easily offended."

"Not meaning to bash Australians, I do think most are pretty down to earth, many are good-humoured etc, and we're far from unique in this regard, I just don't know if we're particularly any more deserving of this title (I guess some might not see it as wholly positive) as other similar nations."

"I suppose life in general is getting busier, more hectic, complicated in some ways, and people all over the world are becoming more alike." ...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print