Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
What is Australian culture? (Read 3399 times)
SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Re: What is Australian culture?
Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 8:35am

The people are what make culture.

Those more regional and rural people are a more genuine and better representation of what it means to be Australian for sure.

My in-laws lived in a regional mid-north Queensland town in the early 90s, they're immigrants from SE Asia.

They were the target of many racist jokes and behaviour, but not out of malice, just ignorance, though at the time they didn't realise it.

It wasn't until the area was hit by floods that they realised that the people around them gave them those ribbings not because they were different, not out of hate or misunderstanding, but because they were one of them, one of the community.  That's how they treated each other.

But when the going got tough, they'd give the shirt from their back to help them. 

During the floods, the way the community banded together, to help everyone, including and almost especially my in-laws was eye-opening for them.

Everyone worked together and helped each other out.

They didn't realise though that their little general store was the heart of the town.  Everyone was helping because they and their store was an essential part of the community.

They saw everyone there, nearly every day, would talk and chat to them, they didn't realise how important they were and not just for the store.  And people would almost fight to get an invite to their dinner parties. 

Of course, the Pub was the real heart of the town, but isn't that always the case?

That sort of "Mateship", not John Howard's jingoism or bullshit for the cameras, if I had to pick anything I'd want to be our culture, it's that.

But in many ways, it's a thing of the past.

There are too many external influences that are taking that away from us, and not just in the big cities either.

These smaller regional communities are being devastated by big corporate interests and it's turning the people against each other.

But that's a topic for another thread.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 9:04am

Frank wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 5:53pm:
Quote:
Our population is highly multicultural, with significant influences from various immigrant communities. This diversity is sometimes seen as overshadowing a distinct, unified Australian culture.

Australia is fundamentally an Anglo- British country with significant American and some continental European influences, mainly Italian, French, German.

I am not aware of any significant cultural influence by Arabs, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Vietnameseetc, etc. Beyond their food and ghettos. I do not see Australian adopting Indian, Chinese, Muslim tastes in art, literature, cinema, values, sensibilities, politics, outlook, language etc.

Poor old anachronism.

You'll go spitting and flailing into a multicultural grave, you immigrant you.

Colonised! Just when you thought you'd got away with telling everyone how superior you are at sword-point.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 9:28am

There's no doubt that Australianism will remain essentially a Western-focussed culture - held in place by its hyperfocus on Americanism - having replaced the British with the Americans due to our cultural need for an overlord.

The sheer volume of threads here and elsewhere on American politics and culture demonstrates this obsession with all things American and the compulsion to emulate it whenever we can - except maybe for the Irish obsession with glorious failure and defeat!

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 9:37am

Two attributes of Australian culture have emerged from this discussion.

Pubs and mateship.

I lived in London for ~2 years and there were at least 4 pubs in walking distance from my residence. Does this signify that the UK has a higher cultural level than Australia?

Regarding mateship, is it misogynistic? Does mateship exclude women?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 9:40am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 9:37am:
Does mateship exclude women?

Does fraternity?

'All men are created equal'?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:22am

mothra wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 9:04am:
Quote:
Our population is highly multicultural, with significant influences from various immigrant communities. This diversity is sometimes seen as overshadowing a distinct, unified Australian culture.

Australia is fundamentally an Anglo- British country with significant American and some continental European influences, mainly Italian, French, German.

I am not aware of any significant cultural influence by Arabs, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Vietnameseetc, etc. Beyond their food and ghettos. I do not see Australian adopting Indian, Chinese, Muslim tastes in art, literature, cinema, values, sensibilities, politics, outlook, language etc.

Poor old anachronism.

Colonised! Just when you thought you'd got away with telling everyone how superior you are at sword-point.

You can flail and splutter without saying anything all you like, silly bint.

Or you could point out how and where Australians are adopting Indian, Chinese, Muslim etc tastes in art, literature, cinema, business, sport or in their  values, sensibilities, politics, outlook, language etc.
Don't point to the existence of ghettos. That is not cultural influence, that's fragmemtation.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:30am

Frank wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:22am:
Quote:

Poor old anachronism.

Or you could point out how and where Australians are adopting Indian, Chinese, Muslim etc tastes in art, literature, cinema, business, sport or in their  values, sensibilities, politics, outlook, language etc.
Don't point to the existence of ghettos. That is not cultural influence, that's fragmemtation.

i think the only thing i need to point out is that you are living in a bubble.

i suspect it's vacuum sealed.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:35am

Australians are adopting Indian, Chinese, Muslim etc tastes in art, literature, cinema, business, sport or in their  values, sensibilities, politics, outlook, language etc.

The Chinese Zodiac now most prolifically expressed in Australian bullion and coinage from both its official mints - nearly 36 years of celebration

The Chinese dragon - regularly appearing each year on Australian bullion.

The Chinese Lunar New Year - celebrated throughout Australia.

Indian Divali - the Hindu festival of light - each year becoming more popular throughout Australia. Holi - the Indian Festival of Colour - will likely soon follow.

Muslim Ramadan.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:49am

paul hogan
kath and kim
'mad max
ned kelly
two up
anzac day
the melbourne cup
drought
the reef
utes
backyard bbq
russell coight
mowing your yard
ayers rock
slouch hat
kylie
steve irwin
jimmy barnes
john mcarthur
james cook
ludwig leichardt

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:49am

mothra wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:30am:
Quote:

Poor old anachronism.

so you can't think of any cultural influence on mainstream Australians either.

There isn't any, so relax.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:53am

Frank wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:49am:

Buddhism - the fastest-growing religion in Australia with traditional Western Christianity in terminal decline.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:54am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:35am:
Australians are adopting Indian, Chinese, Muslim etc tastes in art, literature, cinema, business, sport or in their  values, sensibilities, politics, outlook, language etc.

The Chinese Zodiac now most prolifically expressed in Australian bullion and coinage from both its official mints - nearly 36 years of celebration

The Chinese dragon - regularly appearing each year on Australian bullion.

The Chinese Lunar New Year - celebrated throughout Australia.

Indian Divali - the Hindu festival of light - each year becoming more popular throughout Australia. Holi - the Indian Festival of Colour - will likely soon follow.

Muslim Ramadan.

Celebrated by the Chinese, Indians and Muslims. Only. Not Australians (by definition).

The indians and the Chinese are not celebrating Ramadan, nor do anyone else but Muslims.

you don't see Muslims or Chinese at Divali for some reason.  Roll Eyes Missed the bus, probably, oor there was no parking or something...

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:56am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:53am:

Buddhism - the fastest-growing religion in Australia.

It was Islam a few years ago? No longer?

either way, obviously driven by IMPORTS, not by locals.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:56am

mothra wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:30am:
Quote:

Poor old anachronism.

There are countless. multicultural abundance all around you and you ... sulking in a corner insisting you are a god.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:57am

probably chinese resturants in country towns frank.
and some towns have a distinct influence
boonah near me...very lutheran german (refuse to allow maccas or woolworths into town)
innisfail...very italian (cane farmers)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print