Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
What is Australian culture? (Read 3631 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: What is Australian culture?
Reply #60 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 1:54pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 12:18pm:
The problem with those like Frank, they demand immigrants shed their culture and assimilate by replacing it with Australian culture, but we can't really define what that is, and the moment Australians do things to adopt elements of other cultures we get thinly veiled versions of the great replacement fears.

So it's difficult to have a genuine conversation about this.

Well, can YOU define what any of those other, non Australian cultures are?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:06pm

Cultural import/export

Australian version of "The Song Of The Volga Boatmen"

Russian Choir response with “Waltzing Matilda”

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #62 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:10pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 1:54am:
Daves2017 wrote on Jul 11th, 2024 at 11:34pm:
I totally understand where sad kangaroo is coming from!

You must be living in a big city, because that's what sad kangaroo's post is about

The Australian culture has been obliterated in the major cities

To see the Aussie culture that still exists, one must reside in rural areas for a while where there's a vast majority of traditional Aussie constituents

It binds rural folk together, and because of our Aussie culture, we are not strangers to one another, as people are in the big cities these days

Murals on silos, entertaining passing travelers and towns folk

[im]https://live.staticflickr.com/1786/42432255145_6206a5bd14.jpg[/img]

Birdsville Races road trip, watch right through - happy faces - enjoying their Aussie culture

[medi]https://youtu.be/Yxyyjb1UK_4[/media]

The mysterious 'OUTBACK', the cultural centre of Australia, where the fewest Australians live.

Multiculturalism has not penetrated the hardened wrinkled skin of the mysterious outback.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:11pm

Frank wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 1:54pm:
The problem with those like Frank, they demand immigrants shed their culture and assimilate by replacing it with Australian culture, but we can't really define what that is, and the moment Australians do things to adopt elements of other cultures we get thinly veiled versions of the great replacement fears.

Yes.

One of those 'I know what X is, but now that you ask me, I don't', moments!

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:32pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:10pm:
The mysterious 'OUTBACK', the cultural centre of Australia, where the fewest Australians live.

Multiculturalism has not penetrated the hardened wrinkled skin of the mysterious outback.

What the sculpture of the "Russian Jack" is doing in the Australian outback then?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #65 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:32pm

Yes - we have no bananas!

No culture is universally applied across all individuals in it like a coat of paint slathered on.....  the Aborigines had it down pat... as long s they could keep it at 'small wandering groups' = Terra Nullius - each group could retain its own identity without identity politics entering into it - well - unless they got into a blue with some other group ...

Now there are too many of them and the groups begin to intermingle and trouble comes about, and they no longer simply have the room to wander in peace and close identity with their small group... then there are the Western ideas 'activists', who somehow think that happiness is not being able to freely wander about ..... Fraser Island, for example ..... in shared usage .... but can only be found in Supremacist Ownership of it all - and the group demanding this are most likely not even 'native' to the area.

Like the Middle East - these 'tribes' are pretty much the creation of the Outsiders with control.... and even within 'tribes' (let alone 'nations') each remnant of each small group still holds to its own as much as possible.

Maybe if their population was reduced and they were scattered again with each small group having the 'native title' rights to wander etc across what was their stamping ground (not 'owned land' any more than my trip to town, you catch kangaroo - me catch shopping list, gives me ownership of everything along the way), they might find some peace.

Sadly - The great Project of Abestine/Aborassic Park/Gondwamano Bay is unlikely to work for the same reasons... they just can't get along with one another as small groups....
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:43pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:56pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:11pm:

Yes.

Multiculturalism is a great swindle on many levels. One of them is to absolve people from knowing or understanding neither their own culture nor those of the incoming multitudes.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:56pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:32pm:

Banana benders keep out Wink

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #68 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:01pm

tallowood wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:56pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:32pm:

[url]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Australian_Icon_%
27_The_Big_Banana%27_located_in_Coffs_Harbour%2C_Australian_icon_%28cropped%29.j
pg[/url]

Banana benders keep out Wink

Buggar - there is one banana left in Coffs Harbour - last time I drove through there all the bananas were gone.... it's all special crops these days....  what's that word... boutique crops .... maybe someone will invent the auto-mashed avocado.... I grow the trees from seed here and give them to worthy people to grow.... too old to build that plantation but a Turkish lady up the road is getting some from me  ... the more avocadoes the better I say...

If I still had acreage I'd have an avo plantation... up north of Lismore there is a beauty... in them thar hills.... being me I'd have a few trees overhanging the fences and signs saying 'you may pick if you need but only up to the fence!'   Cool

That was it - the Old Girl's 100th anniversary of her great-grandparent's wedding.... we organised a family gathering up north of Lissie and found the old family farm.... two women have it now as an animal refuge full of injured animals and birds from the fires ..... and this huge avo farm up the road.... good volcanic soil there..
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:07pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:37pm

Frank wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 2:56pm:

Yes.

Multiculturalism is a great swindle on many levels. One of them is to absolve people from knowing or understanding neither their own culture nor those of the incoming multitudes.

It's not possible to define Australian culture such that it is unique from generic neo-Anglo culture that can be found in Canada, the US or New Zealand; more broadly, it is not that distinguishable from generic modern culture found throughout the West, Eastern Europe and even in parts of Asia.

What we think of as uniquely Australian, such as mateship, is, of course, not unique at all. The French have their 'fraternité, the Americans have their 'crowning of god's good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea', the kiwis have it, even Russians use a form of it (if only to mask their imperialism towards neighbouring peoples). It's a theme in most modern nation-states.

What is uniquely Australian about Australia's mainstream culture? 'Laidbackness'? Egalitarianism? Nasal vowels?

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #70 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:40pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 1:42pm:
mothra wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 12:26pm:

It's worse than that. Frank equates expression of culture from non-European stock as like a trip to the zoo.

Frank is having a really bad time acclimatising to modern day Australia. He's offended at every turn.

Ah - let's just make it personal again then.....

You lobbed death threats at me before, and you want to complain about things getting personal?

Please...

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:53pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:37pm:

Yes.

It's not possible to define Australian culture such that it is unique from generic neo-Anglo culture that can be found in Canada, the US or New Zealand; more broadly, it is not that distinguishable from generic modern culture found throughout the West, Eastern Europe and even in parts of Asia.

What we think of as uniquely Australian, such as mateship, is, of course, not unique at all. The French have their 'fraternité, the Americans have their 'crowning of god's good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea', the kiwis have it, even Russians use a form of it (if only to mask their imperialism towards neighbouring peoples). It's a theme in most modern nation-states.

What is uniquely Australian about Australia's mainstream culture? 'Laidbackness'? Egalitarianism? Nasal vowels?

What is cultural uniqueness? Which modern country is 100% culturally unique?

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #72 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 4:02pm

I have a mixed family so yes I do.

Would I otherwise?

Probably not as much.  I've had to go out of my way to educate myself since our school system let my generation down in many ways.

I grew up with a diverse group of friends and 30+ years later we're all still friends.  But those from immigrant backgrounds sound and act more Australian than I do due to the bullying over the years.  It was a necessity for them, sadly.

It wasn't until they started having children of their own that they started to embrace their heritage because they wanted to keep it alive in their children, so they knew their history and where they came from.

It was then, from them, that I started to learn more about mainland Chinese culture, Filipino culture and some Slovakian culture.  But it's a very upper-level understanding and only from their regions point of view.  China and even the Fills are very diverse within themselves.

It all depends on the people you mix with.  It's easy to dismiss, discriminate or hate what you don't understand.

I grew up in a time and a place that fostered mixing with people from different backgrounds in school and celebrating our differences, without it being overboard and over-correcting into wokeville.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 4:17pm

tallowood wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:53pm:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 3:37pm:

Yes.

What is cultural uniqueness? Which modern country is 100% culturally unique?

What does it mean to quantify uniqueness? What does, say, 50% unique mean?

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 4:25pm

multiculturalism is fine but we have to admit some cultures are better then others

the sudanese have been a disaster
the chinese and indians are hard working , smart and law abiding

the lebanese in western sydney are vastly over represented in criminal enterprises

the workers compensation board even had terminology like greek back or yugoslavian back as medical categories , such were the incredible number of insurance claims from some ethnicities.

there was a running joke at the department of social security (now centrelink) that it would be best to give rumanian migrants coming for family reunification , applications for the disability pension on the plane coming here so they could get started on the paperwork

i have never had an issue with most asian migrants.
i feel they add to the country

if you want to stick your head in the ground and say that sudanese and a lot of the middle eastern and eastern europeans are as good, be my guest. i beg to differ.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print