Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
14 items nearly $100 at Coles. (Read 2448 times)
tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 14 items nearly $100 at Coles.
Reply #30 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 11:06am

mothra wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 9:55am:
So don't eat meat.

Better for absolutely everyone and everything all round.

Here goes environment 
Sad
the convenience of a primarily plant-based diet has come at an embarrassing cost. Put simply; there's a lot more flatulence than usual.

Quote:
Dr Sandro Demaio, the chief executive of VicHealth, says an increase in farting when you go veggo or vegan is "very normal".

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #31 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 11:08am

mothra wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 9:55am:
So don't eat meat.

Better for absolutely everyone and everything all round.

Remember, Bobby cannot help but have the urge to get some steak in his mouth every now and then.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #32 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 12:18pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 6:00am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 5:06am:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 24th, 2024 at 7:46pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 24th, 2024 at 7:17pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 24th, 2024 at 5:07pm:
Nothing on that docket seems to be outrageously overpriced   Undecided

Maybe a "mild annoyance" overpriced.

Price gouging.
They were selling lamb for top prices last year and
the farmers were only getting one dollar for a whole sheep.

Dick.... head. You know that is not true.

So you're calling me a liar?

Apologise.

https://www.afr.com/companies/agriculture/sheep-prices-plunge-as-farmers-flood-m...

Sep 25, 2023

Sheep prices plunge to $1 a head as farmers flood market

In Western Australia, the collapse in prices has been exacerbated by the Albanese government’s move to shut down sheep shipments to the Middle East – trade important to a state that doesn’t have a big domestic market for lamb compared with NSW or Victoria. Prices for some WA producers have dropped to as little as $1 or $2 a head.

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 11:05am:
I will let you earn your potential apology from me if you can post up the rest of that article, and explain the relevance of the 2023's financial year compared to the 2024's financial year. Has nothing changed in the 12 months?

UnSubRocky is a man of no honor and no character.

He knows he's wrong but won't apologise.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #33 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 12:30pm

This seems to be a copy of the afr article:

https://www.vikingfoodsolutions.com.au/industry-update/flock-fallout-plummeting-...

Flock Fallout: Plummeting Lamb Prices in Australia

Australia is facing a mighty hurdle as it prepares for a 23% surge in its sheep population, a direct fallout from the harsh 2020 drought. This surge has resulted in a surplus, triggering a significant drop in sheep prices.

The looming threat of scorching weather has set farmers on a frenzied dash to hasten the sale of their livestock. Projections paint a picture of the nation’s total sheep flock reaching a staggering 78.8 million in 2023 – a figure not witnessed since 2007 – all thanks to three consecutive years of rainfall that’s been better than the norm.

The demand for exports has taken a hit, and the breakdown of farmer-to-farmer trade has covered the market with sheep, creating a delicate supply-demand imbalance. According to data from Meat & Livestock Australia, cattle prices have taken a nosedive of almost 50%, while sheep prices are experiencing a substantial 37% decline.

In Western Australia, the predicament is further compounded by the government’s call to halt sheep shipments to the Middle East – a trade of significant importance for a state with less local lamb demand compared to regions like New South Wales or Victoria.
The impact is acutely felt by Western Australian producers,
grappling with prices dropping to as low as $1 or $2 per head.

Adding to the challenges is the prolonged discussion about an impending El Niño, which is expected to bring drier conditions, exacerbating the persistent effects of the recent drought. East coast farmers are actively working to reduce their stock numbers in a market currently facing difficulties.

Cattle prices are witnessing a downturn for similar reasons, and critical export markets with weakening economies are grappling with the task of absorbing surplus meat inventories. The outlook remains uncertain as stakeholders navigate through these complex dynamics.

In summary, Australia confronts a pivotal moment in its agricultural narrative, contending with the aftermath of the 2020 drought and an unprecedented surge in sheep numbers. This surplus has led to a marked drop in sheep prices, intensified by weakened export demand and disrupted farmer-to-farmer trade. The impact is profound in Western Australia, exacerbated by the cessation of sheep shipments to the Middle East.

As discussions about an impending El Niño persist, farmers, particularly on the east coast, adapt strategies in a market riddled with uncertainties. With cattle prices also in decline and export markets grappling with surplus meat amid economic challenges, stakeholders face an uncertain future, demanding resilience and adaptability.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #34 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 12:47pm

Good - the article was saved in the web archive site:

http://web.archive.org/web/20231028133334/https://www.afr.com/companies/agricult...

Brad Thompson   Reporter

Sep 25, 2023 – 7.43am

A projected 23 per cent increase in Australia’s sheep flock since the last drought in 2020 has created a glut that has sent prices into free fall, as farmers scramble to sell before hot weather hits this summer.

Australia’s total sheep flock and breeding ewe numbers are forecast to hit 78.8 million in 2023, the highest level since 2007, after three straight years of above-average rainfall, according to a July update from Meat & Livestock Australia.

Hit by weak export demand and the collapse of farmer-to-farmer trade – when farmers sell sheep to each other – producers who built up flocks during three rainy years are sending them to market in droves as they face the prospect of hotter and drier weather conditions. Meat & Livestock Australia data shows cattle prices broadly down almost 50 per cent on last year and sheep prices down 37 per cent.

Woodanilling sheep producer Bindi Murray fears for the future of the industry in WA. Trevor Collens

In Western Australia, the collapse in prices has been exacerbated by the Albanese government’s move to shut down sheep shipments to the Middle East – trade important to a state that doesn’t have a big domestic market for lamb compared with NSW or Victoria.
Prices for some WA producers have dropped to as little as $1 or $2 a head.

The situation for WA livestock producers is a far cry from 2020 when, at the end of the east coast drought, they cashed in on high prices being paid by farmers on the other side of the country looking to restock. Almost 2 million sheep were trucked out of WA in 2020, along with big numbers of cattle, as east coast producers bred up on the back of rain.

But with talk for months about an El Nino weather pattern bringing drier conditions, and scars from the last drought barely healed, many east coast farmers have been racing to get bulging stock numbers down in a weak market. Cattle prices have plunged for similar reasons, and key export markets with weakening economies have been slow to chew through a build up in meat inventories.

Bindi Murray, a farmer in Woodanilling, WA, isn’t at the point of destroying animals but is struggling with much lower livestock prices.

“I’ve got some sheep here that I could have sold as lambs and was offered $130 a head. I sold some of them a year ago for $75 and then got quoted $40 a head for them. They’re the same sheep, just a different time. It just shows the magnitude of the price collapse over the past 12-18 months,” she said.

Ms Murray is worried that farmers who missed out on rain this year will have to destroy sheep that don’t measure up to the specifications of local meat processors and are unwanted by other farmers. “People are now making those hard decisions on farms rather than pushing the problem down the supply chain,” she said.

She worries that the WA sheep industry is in danger of losing critical mass and that will have a knock-on effect on rural communities and jobs along the supply chain. She said it was heartbreaking and morale-sapping to see lamb prices collapse after a period of high prices and strong demand.

In normal circumstances there would be grazier-to-grazier trade in sheep unwanted by meatworks, but that had completely dried up.

“That trade is just not there because there’s not the confidence for people to take extra sheep on at the moment,” Ms Murray said. “The position in WA with our Mediterranean climate is when the season goes against you, you need to reduce your stock numbers to look after the paddocks and prevent any environmental issues or animal welfare issues.

“You’ve just got a de-stock and that’s the tricky bit for the guys who have got into that position.”

Ms Murray is a Sheep Producers Australia board member and took part in a WA delegation that visited Canberra this month to fight for the live trade with the Middle East.

She said the live trade, facing the axe after lobbying by animal welfare groups, was essential to robust pricing in WA and a phase-out could be “catastrophic” for some farming families and communities.

“We don’t have that big domestic demand base of the east coast and that’s part of why live export plays a really important role. It gives us diversity of demand and more robust pricing,” she said.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #35 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 12:55pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 12:18pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 6:00am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 5:06am:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 24th, 2024 at 7:46pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 24th, 2024 at 7:17pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 24th, 2024 at 5:07pm:
Nothing on that docket seems to be outrageously overpriced   Undecided

Maybe a "mild annoyance" overpriced.

Price gouging.
They were selling lamb for top prices last year and
the farmers were only getting one dollar for a whole sheep.

Dick.... head. You know that is not true.

So you're calling me a liar?

Apologise.

https://www.afr.com/companies/agriculture/sheep-prices-plunge-as-farmers-flood-m...

Sep 25, 2023

In Western Australia, the collapse in prices has been exacerbated by the Albanese government’s move to shut down sheep shipments to the Middle East – trade important to a state that doesn’t have a big domestic market for lamb compared with NSW or Victoria. Prices for some WA producers have dropped to as little as $1 or $2 a head.

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 11:05am:
I will let you earn your potential apology from me if you can post up the rest of that article, and explain the relevance of the 2023's financial year compared to the 2024's financial year. Has nothing changed in the 12 months?

Wow, just look at that last line from TVI™!

He owes me at least one sincere apology but cannot bring himself to make it. He is in no position to call others out for not apologising! What a scumbag!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #36 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 12:58pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 12:55pm:

Wow, just look at that last line from TVI™!

He owes me at least one sincere apology but cannot bring himself to make it. He is in no position to call others out for not apologising! What a scumbag!

Monk,
you are teaching other posters here not to apologise when they are caught out calling me a liar.
You do it all the time you ASPD affected mental case.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 1:52pm

Just saw whole rumps for $9 per kg at IGA.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #38 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 1:57pm

freediver wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 1:52pm:

I hope you bought a heap of them and put most in the freezer?   Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 1:58pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 1:57pm:

No. Maybe later.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #40 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 2:07pm

freediver wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 1:58pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 25th, 2024 at 1:57pm:

No. Maybe later.

yes - actually - test one out first to make sure it's tender.    Wink

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #41 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 3:54pm

Cost of beef at Coles today - 25th July 2024 -
a new record price for Eye Fillet beef $72.73 per kilo.
Beef rump is $26.09 per kilo.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #42 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 6:23pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 24th, 2024 at 7:17am:
freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2024 at 7:02am:
I saw it for 12 recently. For a whole rump. I'm pretty sure a lot of butchers have it at around that price. I think the price has gone down again recently. Maybe because it is drying out after a wet summer.

Wow - remember when eye fillet was $69.70 per kilo last August at Coles?

Who could forget that $100.00 plus leg of lamb we'd be forced to pay,
after the Gillard Government introduced a carbon trading system

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/article/2024/jul/02/barnaby-joyce-say...

It turned out to be just a drunken
Barnaby Joyce
rant, while lying in a gutter, somewhere

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #43 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 8:49pm

Dear Buzz,

forget about drunken Barnaby -

would you pay $72.73 per kilo for a piece of eye fillet?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #44 - Jul 25th, 2024 at 9:40pm

I will consider that a threat. And I will consider that you have the obligation of apologising.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print