Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Putting Off Having Children, Or Grated Cheese (Read 135 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Putting Off Having Children, Or Grated Cheese
Jul 24th, 2024 at 10:01am

More than half of young Australians are putting off having children. What does that mean for future growth?

ABC News
4 Jun 2024

Melbourne woman Sam is open to having kids but, there are some significant hurdles to overcome first.

The 29-year-old says she needs to clear her $100,000 HECS debt and then find a way to own her own home before even considering it.

"And you know, I can't even afford grated cheese, that's like $12 a bag these days," she says.   Sad

Recent research shows more than half of 18 to 34-year-olds are delaying starting a family, blaming the current cost of living effects.

Marketing professional Sam isn't surprised at all by that figure.

"It's the farthest thing from my mind right now. Which is ironic, considering my mum probably had me at my age," she says.

The data — compiled by political research organisation RedBridge Group — came from a survey of 2,000 Australians.

RedBridge director Kos Samaras says it is clear a significant group of young people are delaying life decisions that previous generations were taking for granted.

Kos Samaras says younger people are delaying life decisions for financial reasons.
Mr Samaras, who was once a senior campaign strategist for the Labor Party, says his team asked people in their early 30s if they'd support previous policies such as the "baby bonus", which provided a one-off payment to new parents.

He says people rolled their eyes, with responders giving clear reasons regarding the affordability of having children in today's age.

"It's not just about the $3,000 or $4,000 you might get from government," he says.

"It is the inability to access affordable rental properties. It is an inability to access a home that is suitable for raising your family. It is the unstable work out there."   

'It would be better if birth rates were higher'
The country's birth rate is currently at 1.6 — below the replacement rate level of 2.1 needed to keep population growth steady.

And the government has been grappling with how to manage the dwindling population — looking at cheaper childcare and improved parental leave.

In response to questions about slowing population rates, a spokesperson for Treasurer Jim Chalmers's office told the ABC that budget measures, announced last month, would soon ease cost of living pressures.

However, Mr Chalmers told Nine Newspapers last month "it would be better if birth rates were higher".

"I think people are leaving it later. And sometimes that means you get timed out. But there are a whole range of reasons people's preferences are changing. It's expensive to raise kids," he said.

Here's how many people could be in your capital city by 2071
As of the end of June 2022, 67 per cent of all Australians lived in capital cities – that is set to increase to 68 per cent by 2032.

RBC Capital Markets chief economist Su Lin Ong says the slowing of the country's birth rates has knock-on effects from a "bigger, broader economic perspective". The economist also says that when people delay starting a family, they're also likely to have fewer children.

"That has all sorts of implications around what it means for aging populations to contribute to growth to the demographics when you've got fewer young people able to support an aging population," she says.

The RedBridge research also shows younger Australians are putting off other major life decisions such as receiving medical treatment and getting married, due to cost of living.

Over half of 18 to 34-year-olds delayed medical treatment for a financial reason, and just under half had delayed getting married. Nearly 70 per cent of that same age bracket have also delayed buying a home for the same reason.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Putting Off Having Children, Or Grated Cheese
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2024 at 10:03am

Well if you cant afford having children, then don't have them.   Sad

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2024 at 11:23am

Population decline is extremely bad for capitalist economies. Japan is an example.

The first sign of Capitalist decline will be the rapidly rising prices of utilities because their shareholders demand dividends and growth. A declining population means falling revenue for utility providers unless they increase prices.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2024 at 12:07pm

Unbalanced population increase will destroy the world.... thank you all for coming.... the question will be which one of the over-populating lesser cultures will be the dominant one that brings about this destruction.  I can see you all thriving under Mau Mau or Islamist control.... containment has failed with the 'refugees' from Islamism itself flooding Europe and even here..... same with the New Mau Mau arriving here and there in numbers and leeching the world's sympathies by drowning in their hundreds while trying to cross the Mediterranean to Italy or Spain... or across through sort of neutral Turkey, Islamic (note the difference) and secular but still Islamic - the big hiding in WWI - let's call it Beersheba/Be'er Shiva etc - directed Turkey down the path of acting like a civilised country while thinking like an uncivilised one..... talk about bestriding two continents... one of them incontinent with running sewers and such ...

So now LTYC is sub-liminally suggesting that there is a need to control population growth in the Third World and Fourth World, and improve it in the better cultures...  clearly LTYC is a closet Fascist supremo in his own lunch time... let's hope he never become US President or Russian Putin with a finger on the buttons..... or that some half-Indian immigrant doesn't get the gig.... they need a Trump who is too big a man to press a silly button when he can go visit the world's idiots and talk them down with a deal ...

If they banned shredded cheese it would make Australia grate again...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2024 at 12:37pm

whiteknight wrote on Jul 24th, 2024 at 10:03am:
Well if you cant afford having children, then don't have them.   Sad

I blame the scientific community that invented the pill, followed by the rise of the feminist supremacism that has lead us to the current malaise of the west and all the other megaphone diplomacy type supremacist movements doing the rounds - the feminarchy with all its vapid non-thinking as clearly shown by ever so many empty heads here and everywhere else ... with the utter inability to come to mental grips with any hard issue .... got all the words and answers - but none of the solutions.

We need a strong man with some balls.... or LTYC's massive required reduction in Third World numbers along with a total stop to all immigration from the 'breeder' regions...  it's bad enough what they do to one another there... we don't need it here... that could lead to six Africans on an Aussie woman in Paris.... jeez... true heroes ...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2024 at 12:44pm

GTTF's balance = white chip on each shoulder.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print