Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The debate summed up
Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:19pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:17pm:
Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:12pm:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:09pm:
The debate was empty rhetoric...

Nothing more than what has already been gassed out over the last few weeks at rallies.

Neither side will have convinced many independents and undecideds to jump one way or the other...

Harris did more to answer questions than Trump by a wide margin.

So did Hillary Clinton... and... y'know...

Interesting you mention her. She actually received millions more votes than Trump did. She only lost because of the electoral college, otherwise he'd have never been President if it was based on the popular vote.

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:19pm

Trump won - and I didn't even watch it!

Harris is dripping with head-tilty, wide-eyed insincerity.
This was a test of her, not of him. Everyone knows Trump, nobody knows her.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:21pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:19pm:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:17pm:
Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:12pm:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:09pm:
The debate was empty rhetoric...

Nothing more than what has already been gassed out over the last few weeks at rallies.

Neither side will have convinced many independents and undecideds to jump one way or the other...

Harris did more to answer questions than Trump by a wide margin.

So did Hillary Clinton... and... y'know...

Interesting you mention her. She actually received millions more votes than Trump did. She only lost because of the electoral college, otherwise he'd have never been President if it was based on the popular vote.

Ah yes, the electoral college... the ghost of slavery in the land of the .... 'Free'.

The debate was about appealing to a steaming pile of 50,000 trash voters.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:22pm

Gotta wonder where Trump came up with the absurdly ridiculous claim that people are eating dogs and cats. Even when the debate moderator corrected him and said the city manager has said there are no credible reports of this happening in his city, Trump persisted with this lie. Does he just make random crap up and put it out there? How does he even come up with something so bizarre???

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:24pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:22pm:
Gotta wonder where Trump came up with the absurdly ridiculous claim that people are eating dogs and cats. Even when the debate moderator corrected him and said the city manager has said there are no credible reports of this happening in his city, Trump persisted with this lie. Does he just make random crap up and put it out there? How does he even come up with something so bizarre???

It's what keeps the trash awake at night...

Where the hell my smell-hound gown?

t'sa bin eaten by them damn illegals.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:26pm

It appealed to me that Kamala walked over to trump and shook his hand at the beginning.

Shows good manners, ethics, professionalism and a 'play by the rules' mentality.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:28pm

MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:24pm:

Speaking of illegals, she really did land a hard blow on Trump with his favourite topic - the border. She hit the nail on the head when she pointed out that the Biden administration tried to get a Bill through the Congress that would've seen more Border Officers patrolling, more resources but Trump called his Republican congressional sycophants and ordered them to kill the Bill, which they did. It's no secret - he wanted to have this as an issue with which to bash Biden, and now Harris. That's now how a President (or former President) should behave - putting political point scoring ahead of the national interest. Once again, it's all about Trump.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:30pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:26pm:
It appealed to me that Kamala walked over to trump and shook his hand at the beginning.

Shows good manners, ethics, professionalism and a 'play by the rules' mentality.

Yep, he had no intention of shaking her hand. He could barely even look at her the entire debate. He just looked furious the whole time - a very angry man. She was quite articulate. I think she could've answered some questions better, more fully and detailed. But she did so more than Trump, who failed to answer ANY questions at all. The debate - on Trumps' part - was just one long rant of regurgitated lies that have debunked many, many times.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:33pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:28pm:
MeisterEckhart wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:24pm:

Speaking of illegals, she really did land a hard blow on Trump with his favourite topic - the border. She hit the nail on the head when she pointed out that the Biden administration tried to get a Bill through the Congress that would've seen more Border Officers patrolling, more resources but Trump called his Republican congressional sycophants and ordered them to kill the Bill, which they did. It's no secret - he wanted to have this as an issue with which to bash Biden, and now Harris. That's now how a President (or former President) should behave - putting political point scoring ahead of the national interest. Once again, it's all about Trump.

Yep, she got that one right... But the 50,000 trash voters in 6 states are rabid xenophobes, so the vocals about Trump's bitching about illegals hit their nail on the head.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:34pm

mothra wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:12pm:
Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:10pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:07pm:
I thought the debate was pretty even

The moderators were remiss in allowing trump to take most of the time. They should have muted his mike.

The also failed miserably in holding him to answering questions. He didn't say how he would stop the Ukraine war, despite being asked point blank how he would do it after making numerous claims he would stop it within 24 hours of becoming President. He didn't offer any details on his health care plan to replace the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare), even admitting on screen he didn't have a plan yet. I wish the moderators had said, even just once, "Mr Trump you have not answered how you would end the war in Ukraine - all you've done is blame various things on the Biden administration".

They really screwed that up by not holding him to account and also by letting him talk over them, as you said.

He didn't answer a single question.

Not one.

He ranted instead.

and he gave me a headache

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:34pm

I liked that the debate moderators held Trump to task on his lies, fact-checking him, particularly when he made the absurd claim about illegal immigrants eating peoples' dogs and cats...

During the debate, when Trump again introduced the topic, David Muir – one of ABC’s two moderators – quickly fact-checked him. “You bring up Springfield, Ohio, and ABC News did reach out to the city manager there,” said Muir. “He told us there had been no credible reports of specific claims of pets being harmed, injured or abused by individuals within the immigrant community.”

Did it slow him (Trump) down? No, he simply repeated the lie. The guy is unbelievable - quite literally.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:38pm

Of all of his absolute horseshit, what stuck out most for me was his doubling sown on the falsehood of election theft ... and his defense f the insurrection.

i thought Harris handles it brilliantly.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:39pm

i didnt see it sprint but if i was mentoring her that is exactly what she should do.

she needs to undermine trump by being very very kind to the maga crowd

if she does that, she wins for sure

her base will hate it because they are haters, but if she can show compassion to the young white men from red states, she will annihilate trump

its such an easy and smart move

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:43pm

aquascoot wrote on Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:39pm:

i didnt see it sprint but if i was mentoring her that is exactly what she should do.

she needs to undermine trump by being very very kind to the maga crowd

if she does that, she wins for sure

her base will hate it because they are haters, but if she can show compassion to the young white men from red states, she will annihilate trump

its such an easy and smart move

Harris did extremely well in her first Presidential debate. She baited him mercilessly and he took the bait every single time and I think if I were on his campaign staff, I'd have been tearing my hair out. His answer on the January 6 insurrection was surreal. Lets not forget he has publicly stated he will, if elected, pardon those people who have been and are being prosecuted for their part in what was honestly an attempted coup. I think that if I were a voter who was undecided, I'd have sided with Harris after this debate.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Sep 11th, 2024 at 1:47pm

The straw poll on Lichtman's live show, with over 7000 watchers voting, had Harris as the debate winner at 94% with Trump at 6%.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print