Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Time to end the "welcome to country" (Read 142 times)
Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Time to end the "welcome to country"
Sep 16th, 2024 at 10:14am

I'm sick and tired of the ridiculous welcome to country that happens everywhere these days, from school assemblies to Council meetings to sporting games. Time for it to stop. I was born here, I don't need to be welcomed to my own country and don't need to be lectured to about it either - especially when the one doing the lecturing gets it wrong. Aboriginal people have been living on what is now Australia for about 65,000 years - not the 250,000 plus years according to Brendan Kerin at the GWS Giant’s semi-final against Brisbane at Engie Stadium in Sydney. Sounds like someone's been on the smoking pipe a bit too much.

Besides all this, I recall when I was in school in the 80's having a local elder come to talk to us about Aboriginal history and culture before all this PC garbage and one thing he said stuck with me since like super glue. He said that Aboriginal people had NEVER considered themselves to be owners of the land and that they were merely its custodians, its caretakers, and they believed that by taking care of the land, the land would take care of them.

The welcome to country is just being way over done. Time to stop doing it.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/weak-collingwood-great-scorches-afl-welcome-to...

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Time to end the "welcome to country"
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 10:28am

Hear hear!

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 10:49am

... and never forget that small groups which could hardly make an impact on the land other than chasing the wildlife never ever had to do much 'caretaking' or 'custodianship'.... let's just leave that one in the Sentiments bag... nice to hear and think is so, but nowhere near anything practical.

It's not as if they operated on some overall plan to 'caretake' anything - mostly just moved around with the seasons and to where the food was.  All nice words.... we appreciate that ... but let's stick to realities.... for a change...

As for Welcome To Country - that wore out with me after once - just like Ruddtler's cringing 'apology' has become some sort of national event to celebrate some major victory over whartey .... and in doing so he started all the rot off and actively aided in the escalating warfare and violence both within Aboriginal communities and against society as a whole.

In bringing the country together he split it into two warring camps, and has never once accepted responsibility for what he failed to achieve, but just went on, in the traditional way, to more and more unearned riches out of treasury.  A country united against itself in this manner cannot stand as it is.... changes must be forthcoming.... starting with this nonsense.

Time to cut this nonsense off at the pass..... ALL of it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Daves2017
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 11:20am

It’s simply made up stupidly.

I often feel sorry for the indigenous having to dress down and dance and sing for the white peoples .

It’s at a stage in local government that you can’t make a coffee without thanking people from the past, present and future.

It’s such a load of rubbish

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 11:22am

Daves2017 wrote on Sep 16th, 2024 at 11:20am:
It’s simply made up stupidly.

I often feel sorry for the indigenous having to dress down and dance and sing for the white peoples .

It’s at a stage in local government that you can’t make a coffee without thanking people from the past, present and future.

It’s such a load of rubbish

This is where it all began - in 1976 in a made up ceremony by Ernie Dingo...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11056815/Welcome-Country-ceremony-creat...

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 11:26am

By introducing unwelcome-to-country ceremonies for white racists like ArmchairPolitician?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 11:34am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Sep 16th, 2024 at 11:26am:
By introducing unwelcome-to-country ceremonies for white racists like ArmchairPolitician?

How am I racist? What's the difference between forcing everyone to sit through a welcome to country speech and making everyone sit through a prayer before a school assembly? If they want to perform welcome to country ceremonies, then that's fine - they can do that at their gatherings for events that are significant to them. No reason for this to be forced upon everyone else, especially when it's all made up from a lightbulb moment by Ernie Dingo in 1976.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Yesterday at 10:41am

Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 16th, 2024 at 10:14am:
I'm sick and tired of the ridiculous welcome to country that happens everywhere these days, from school assemblies to Council meetings to sporting games. Time for it to stop. I was born here, I don't need to be welcomed to my own country and don't need to be lectured to about it either - especially when the one doing the lecturing gets it wrong. Aboriginal people have been living on what is now Australia for about 65,000 years - not the 250,000 plus years according to Brendan Kerin at the GWS Giant’s semi-final against Brisbane at Engie Stadium in Sydney. Sounds like someone's been on the smoking pipe a bit too much.

Besides all this, I recall when I was in school in the 80's having a local elder come to talk to us about Aboriginal history and culture before all this PC garbage and one thing he said stuck with me since like super glue. He said that Aboriginal people had NEVER considered themselves to be owners of the land and that they were merely its custodians, its caretakers, and they believed that by taking care of the land, the land would take care of them.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/weak-collingwood-great-scorches-afl-welcome-to...

You see, the local Elder is morally humble and superior.  He recognise that we should all look after the land and it then looks after you.  However, other people (here) would interpret this as:  Oh see!  Since you DONT own it.  Now WE own it!  GET out of MY land! 

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Yesterday at 1:40pm

tickleandrose wrote Yesterday at 10:41am:

You see, the local Elder is morally humble and superior.  He recognise that we should all look after the land and it then looks after you.  However, other people (here) would interpret this as:  Oh see!  Since you DONT own it.  Now WE own it!  GET out of MY land! 

What gets me is the speech at every single school assembly at my kids' school. It always refers to "the traditional OWNERS of the land". But throughout history, the Aboriginal people never considered themselves owners of the land, simply its caretakers. Ownership was not something they considered ever.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Yesterday at 1:48pm

Armchair_Politician wrote Yesterday at 1:40pm:
It always refers to "the traditional OWNERS of the land". But throughout history, the Aboriginal people never considered themselves owners of the land, simply its caretakers.

The concept of ownership of land was not an Aboriginal thing. It was a Western concept forced upon them. And since they NOW live in a Western society, Western concepts apply to them regardless of what they traditionally believed pre-colonisation.

If you want to argue Aboriginal concepts and claim that they must apply now, then you have to agree that you don't own your land either. You can't pick and choose one for them and another for you.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Yesterday at 3:30pm

John Smith wrote Yesterday at 1:48pm:
Armchair_Politician wrote Yesterday at 1:40pm:
It always refers to "the traditional OWNERS of the land". But throughout history, the Aboriginal people never considered themselves owners of the land, simply its caretakers.

The concept of ownership of land was not an Aboriginal thing. It was a Western concept forced upon them. And since they NOW live in a Western society, Western concepts apply to them regardless of what they traditionally believed pre-colonisation.

If you want to argue Aboriginal concepts and claim that they must apply now, then you have to agree that you don't own your land either. You can't pick and choose one for them and another for you.

It wasn't 'forced on" anyone. They are free to believe that they belong to the earth and its spirits. They are not forced to become owners, a concept unknown to their traditional way of thinking.
That's why they cannot be 'traditional owners ' which is exactly the oxymoron, putting two incompatible concepts together in an invented neologism.

This illustrates the larger problem : Aborigines can't live simultaneously in the modern world and hold on to pre-historic, stone age  values and customs. These things are incompatible.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Yesterday at 3:58pm

Well said Armchair_Politician.

Positive: I think the Welcome to Country 'Ceremony' is very justified when it is used for the traditional essence and state of being of Aboriginal existence: that of the 'LAND' and all its associated aspects.

Negative: What I don't agree with is this Media 'induced' (yes it is) fake-politico of using it for EVERYTHING in a deluge of saturation to ANTAGONISE everyone else who doesn't adhere to their Lefty virtue-signalling (which is wrong anyway) - as WRACISTS!~ Angry

Centrist: Welcome to Country should be only used for things that are in relation to 'the LAND' as Aboriginal 'culture' claims to be what it is all about. Maybe for some Tourists getting off a Cruiseliner to receive a necklace of twine and itchy wattle like/similar to what Hawaiians present?
Do not use it for Sport, Politics, Religion and all things not of 'the LAND'.
It's basically cultural extortion.

The Media Lefties once again abusing Politics for their own 'Media' narratives and biases.
  Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #12 - Yesterday at 4:12pm

ALL BS IMO!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Yesterday at 4:29pm

The Maori Haka has more relevance to (Welcome to) Sport as a Ceremony than the Aborigines and their Media-induced Welcome to Country... unless they're on about the 'grass' the sport is about to be played upon?
Maybe the Cricket pitch could do with a WTC before start of play?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Yesterday at 5:10pm

Frank wrote Yesterday at 3:30pm:
It wasn't 'forced on" anyone.

Unless you are saying they are able to camp on your land and hold coroborrees whenever they like, sure it was.

How about you stop playing the fool just once, and actually think about what you are saying Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print