Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Workplace Accident - Worker Killed (Read 55 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Workplace Accident - Worker Killed
Oct 5th, 2024 at 3:06am

Tragedy as worker dies, another injured, in mining incident   Sad
Paramedics were called to the scene following reports of an incident, with one worker dead and another injured.

News.com.au
October 3, 2024

A worker has died following a mining incident in Queensland’s Central Highlands Region.   Sad

A Queensland Ambulance spokesperson confirmed paramedics attended a mine site in Tieri just after 4.30pm on Wednesday following reports of a machinery incident.

“One male patient in his 30s with significant life-threatening head injuries was assessed on scene,” the spokesperson said.

“A male patient in his 20s with significant potentially life-threatening head, arm and leg injuries was transported by helicopter to Rockhampton Hospital.”

A Queensland Police spokesperson confirmed one worker died at the scene while another suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner.

Resources Safety & Health Queensland chief executive officer Rob Djukic said his thoughts are with the colleagues, friends and families of both workers.

“An RSHQ coal inspector has issued a directive to isolate the incident scene while we investigate,” Mr Djukic said.

It’s understood the workers were carrying out maintenance works at the time of the incident.

Glencore’s chief executive officer in Australia Ian Cribb said workers will be provided with support following the incident.

“Our deepest sympathies go out to both workers’ families, friends and colleagues,” Mr Cribb said.

“This is devastating for our entire Oaky Creek workforce, and we are providing support services and counselling.”

Mining and Energy Union Queensland district president Mitch Hughes also extended his condolences to the family, friends and workmates of the worker who died.

“We will leave no stone unturned in uncovering what has gone wrong,” Mr Hughes said.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Re: Workplace Accident - Worker Killed
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 12:32pm

Yes, I know this story, as I witnessed one of the victims at the Emergency Ward. I have to admit that I was quite rude and impatient when I was there. But, I added an extra half hour wait for the doctor to see me, as I heard the rescue helicopter land on the roof of the hospital.

I promised the doctor on scene that he won't have to see me ever again, after that night. They are too busy over there to be bothered by my insignificant problems.

At this stage...
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print