Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paying $10.90 For A Single Steak And Potato Pie (Read 124 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Paying $10.90 For A Single Steak And Potato Pie
Today at 1:42pm

‘Un-Australian’: Single meat pie pic drives Aussies insane   Sad

News.com.au
October 7, 2024

The cost of a humble meat and potato pie has left Aussies steaming as another beloved snack falls victim to the cost of living crisis.

Anger erupted after a social media user shared a photo on Reddit of steak and potato pies selling for the eye-watering price of $10.90.

Each pie cost an eye-watering $10.90.   

Many fed-up social media users were quick to slam the “un-Australian” price of the iconic snack.   Sad

“$10.90 for a f***ing pie! bugger OFF!” one person wrote.

“Yeah, you can keep your $10 pie,” said another.

“That’s UN-AUSTRALIAN,” another claimed.

“I don’t doubt that pies are more expensive for good reason. But I’m not paying 10 dollars for one,” another comment read.

“It’s weird how six bucks seems comparatively cheap now. Two years ago, I was outraged that pies were six dollars. 3.50 to 4.50 has always felt about right,” said another.

“I am guessing sauce is extra?” another quipped.

However, not everyone took an issue with the price.

Those in the food industry defended the business’ decision, with one baker noting it’s a sign of the times as ingredient prices “are rising just as quick as petrol/groceries”.

“Things like butter, yeast, flour, cheese and especially meat just seem to be creeping up every single week,” they wrote.

“However if you change too many ingredients to cheaper alternatives people start complaining, then if you don’t they’ll complain it’s too expensive. Only so much you can do.”

The baker said while their bakery is selling pies for about $6, they don’t “hold it against other bakeries for charging this much”.

“It’s an expensive business to run already and unfortunately we need to keep the lights on somehow. Frozen servo pies for you from now on if you don’t want to pay this much, unfortunately.”

One baker said the price of common ingredients have been “creeping up”.

Another social media user, whose family owns a bakery, also defended the cost.

“My family has a bakery and we sell our pies at $6. Sometimes I go out and ask myself why is milk tea, coffee or a simple ham and chess sandwich costs more or roughly the same price as our pies? It requires less ingredients and time to make those. The amount of preparation to make a pie from scratch is time-consuming and requires way more ingredients. Raw ingredients are always increasing,” they wrote.

“We’re too afraid to increase our prices fearing customers might run away and there’s just so much competition out there now (Woolies/coles). We can’t compete with them hence I guess some bakeries need to do what they have to do. Maybe they just aren’t busy enough to keep the prices more reasonable.”

Coffee prices could soon soar   Sad

It come as cafe owners warn the price of another much-loved food and drink item could soar with Aussies possibly having to pay $7 for a flat white as businesses struggle to turn a profit in the current economic climate.

“The cost of living is crushing operators who generate tens of millions of dollars in (state) government revenue,” Brisbane-based industry leader Phillip Di Bella told The Courier Mail.

Mr Di Bella, the founder of the Coffee Commune, said the sector was on the verge of crisis, predicting some 2,000 operators will be forced to close within two years.

“We know everyone is doing it tough right now, so of course operators don’t want to be charging $7 for a flat white, but that will become the norm,” Mr Di Bella said.

“After expenses, businesses are making roughly $1 profit per coffee and the average store sells 300 coffees a day.

“Our members have families as well, so that is not a sustainable income.”

Cafe owners have warned coffee prices could soar again.

High costs, inflation and tough competition have created a perfect storm, Gold Coast hospitality veteran, Lincoln Testa, also told the publication.

More Coverage

At Madisons Cafe in Broadbeach, which Mr Testa has operated for over 20 years, a flat white currently sets consumers back $5.20.

“Coffees should probably be selling for $8 given it is handcrafted and it takes two people to do and they are time-consuming, especially when having to do the alternative milks,” he said.

Mr Di Bella and Mr Testa are among those pleading for government intervention ahead of Queensland’s state election this month, suggesting measures like increasing the payroll tax thresholds and reforming industrial relations laws to keep businesses afloat.   Sad

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Paying $10.90 For A Single Steak And Potato Pie
Reply #1 - Today at 1:44pm

IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO LIVE HERE - THEN F**K OFF TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM OR WHERE YOU F*##*#G BELONG!!!

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #2 - Today at 2:03pm

Jasin wrote Today at 1:44pm:
IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO LIVE HERE - THEN F**K OFF TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM OR WHERE YOU F*##*#G BELONG!!!

"Done and dusted"

*UnSubRocky washes hands*

At this stage...
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #3 - Today at 2:04pm

At this stage...
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #4 - Today at 2:06pm

Quote:
Black night is not right
I don't feel so bright
I don't care to sit tight
Maybe I'll find on the way down the line
That I'm free, free to be me
Black night is a long way from home

Jasin is a long way from "home". Perhaps he should move back to NSW.

At this stage...
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Today at 2:26pm

Perhaps the price reflects greens aspiration for cows farting tax?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #6 - Today at 2:28pm

JSin is pursuing his white whale, the legendary giant black dick that has tortured JSin's mind by waving around in his thoughts and appearing like a mirage just out of reach.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Today at 2:37pm

Laugh till you cry wrote Today at 2:28pm:
JSin is pursuing his white whale, the legendary giant black dick that has tortured JSin's mind by waving around in his thoughts and appearing like a mirage just out of reach.

You're not a homo are you?

Not that .....     Embarrassed

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #8 - Today at 2:43pm

Bobby. wrote Today at 2:37pm:

Is Bobby buying or selling?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Today at 2:53pm

He is.
He's even upset that I'm not the White Guy who thinks he's pretty 'fly' for the Black girls.
Not my fault that Bantu babes liked my Ivory.  Wink Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #10 - Today at 3:04pm

Jasin wrote Today at 2:53pm:

He is.
He's even upset that I'm not the White Guy who thinks he's pretty 'fly' for the Black girls.

another sad story from JSin's imagination in his perpetual search for his white whale ... the giant black dick that haunts JSin's mind and the enticing figment that waves in front of him just out of reach like a mirage.

Don't give up JSin.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #11 - Today at 3:29pm

tallowood wrote Today at 2:26pm:
Perhaps the price reflects greens aspiration for cows farting tax?

It is the reason why we initially had massive inflation. With Labor running out of puff with the failed Voice to Parliament, there was an easing of inflation in this country. That is why we only suffered financially because of the Voice to Parliament, and not because of the coronavirus bulldust.

At this stage...
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Rockhampton
Reply #12 - Today at 3:32pm

He is.

If I could quote FutureTheLeftWant:

"Racist! Racist! You're a racist!"

At this stage...
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Today at 5:15pm

whiteknight wrote Today at 1:42pm:
‘Un-Australian’: Single meat pie pic drives Aussies insane   Sad

News.com.au
October 7, 2024

The cost of a humble meat and potato pie has left Aussies steaming as another beloved snack falls victim to the cost of living crisis.

Anger erupted after a social media user shared a photo on Reddit of steak and potato pies selling for the eye-watering price of $10.90.

Each pie cost an eye-watering $10.90.   

Many fed-up social media users were quick to slam the “un-Australian” price of the iconic snack.   Sad

“$10.90 for a f***ing pie! bugger OFF!” one person wrote.

“Yeah, you can keep your $10 pie,” said another.

“That’s UN-AUSTRALIAN,” another claimed.

“I don’t doubt that pies are more expensive for good reason. But I’m not paying 10 dollars for one,” another comment read.

“It’s weird how six bucks seems comparatively cheap now. Two years ago, I was outraged that pies were six dollars. 3.50 to 4.50 has always felt about right,” said another.

“I am guessing sauce is extra?” another quipped.

However, not everyone took an issue with the price.

Those in the food industry defended the business’ decision, with one baker noting it’s a sign of the times as ingredient prices “are rising just as quick as petrol/groceries”.

“Things like butter, yeast, flour, cheese and especially meat just seem to be creeping up every single week,” they wrote.

“However if you change too many ingredients to cheaper alternatives people start complaining, then if you don’t they’ll complain it’s too expensive. Only so much you can do.”

The baker said while their bakery is selling pies for about $6, they don’t “hold it against other bakeries for charging this much”.

“It’s an expensive business to run already and unfortunately we need to keep the lights on somehow. Frozen servo pies for you from now on if you don’t want to pay this much, unfortunately.”

One baker said the price of common ingredients have been “creeping up”.

Another social media user, whose family owns a bakery, also defended the cost.

“My family has a bakery and we sell our pies at $6. Sometimes I go out and ask myself why is milk tea, coffee or a simple ham and chess sandwich costs more or roughly the same price as our pies? It requires less ingredients and time to make those. The amount of preparation to make a pie from scratch is time-consuming and requires way more ingredients. Raw ingredients are always increasing,” they wrote.

“We’re too afraid to increase our prices fearing customers might run away and there’s just so much competition out there now (Woolies/coles). We can’t compete with them hence I guess some bakeries need to do what they have to do. Maybe they just aren’t busy enough to keep the prices more reasonable.”

Coffee prices could soon soar   Sad

It come as cafe owners warn the price of another much-loved food and drink item could soar with Aussies possibly having to pay $7 for a flat white as businesses struggle to turn a profit in the current economic climate.

“The cost of living is crushing operators who generate tens of millions of dollars in (state) government revenue,” Brisbane-based industry leader Phillip Di Bella told The Courier Mail.

Mr Di Bella, the founder of the Coffee Commune, said the sector was on the verge of crisis, predicting some 2,000 operators will be forced to close within two years.

“We know everyone is doing it tough right now, so of course operators don’t want to be charging $7 for a flat white, but that will become the norm,” Mr Di Bella said.

“After expenses, businesses are making roughly $1 profit per coffee and the average store sells 300 coffees a day.

“Our members have families as well, so that is not a sustainable income.”

Cafe owners have warned coffee prices could soar again.

High costs, inflation and tough competition have created a perfect storm, Gold Coast hospitality veteran, Lincoln Testa, also told the publication.

More Coverage

At Madisons Cafe in Broadbeach, which Mr Testa has operated for over 20 years, a flat white currently sets consumers back $5.20.

“Coffees should probably be selling for $8 given it is handcrafted and it takes two people to do and they are time-consuming, especially when having to do the alternative milks,” he said.

Mr Di Bella and Mr Testa are among those pleading for government intervention ahead of Queensland’s state election this month, suggesting measures like increasing the payroll tax thresholds and reforming industrial relations laws to keep businesses afloat.   Sad

Well, there's an opportunity for you - make and sell pies for less and make a lot of money by beating the overcharging competition.

Simples. Like you....  Roll Eyes

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Today at 5:38pm

Laugh till you cry wrote Today at 3:04pm:

He is.

another sad story from JSin's imagination in his perpetual search for his white whale ... the giant black dick that haunts JSin's mind and the enticing figment that waves in front of him just out of reach like a mirage.

Don't give up JSin.

You can't stop talking about dicks - you must be a homo.

Not that .....   Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print