Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should Australia become a republic?

« Created by: DILLIGAF on: Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:11pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 38
Send Topic Print
Should Australia become a republic? (Read 41309 times)
Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Should Australia become a republic?
Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:09pm

Heres an issue that suprisingly has'nt been raised on this site specifically.
What do you think and why?
What form of government should we adopt?
Or should we leave the westminster system alone?
Should we have a president?
Or keep the prime minister as leader?

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Re: Should Australia become a republic?
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:35pm

I think you should think a little bit more out of the square. What we really need to do is have the populace select each individual minister's position based on merit. CV's can be displayed of each candidate with the focus to finding the right people to do the job. Somehow we need to take popularity or charisma out of the contest.

I think we should have a president. The next best time to raise the republican issue is now because people want change. Politics have become stale with them. Too much emphasis is being put on how a politician sells himself rather than his skill to do the job.

Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:47pm

I agree 100% with merit.
Police minister MUST be ex- cop

Defence minister MUST be ex- Armed forces officer

etc,.

IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:52pm

I would love to live in a Republic and finally sever all ties with that shithole on the other side of the world.And the chinless wonders the Windsor's.
To have a President and a duly elected government with one governor in each state/territory,abolish councils any other drain on the public purse and get on with making Australia great again for all Aussies

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 9:40am

Enviro do you mean a directly elected president? I think that would make it more about personality, not less.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 5:21pm

I believe there are many different ways you can do this but my favourite is that elections should be run on our computers where candidates, who have to pass a criteria test, can submit there CV. We peruse their CV's over a 6 week period then vote online. Maybe the candidates only provide avatars and who they really are is not revealed until after an election. This also takes vanity out of the equation.

I believe the President should select the Foreign Affairs Minister because this job does entail personality being the salesman for Australia. The President would have to accept full responsibility for all actions provided by the Foreign Affairs Minister.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 5:46pm

There is a reason why companies don't employ people based on their CV's alone.

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 6:28pm

Only if the focus was on collective thought and not individual thought.

We have many party's in this country being Labour, Liberal, Democrats, One Nation, Greens etc. These party's are made up of like minded people. The problem with this is, because they are party affiliated they have to agree and vote on the party's preferred choice not their preferred choice. This is what happens when you create teams. (Collective Thought)

To be a real republic or even a democracy you need to get rid of party's. The only Party that counts is the one that forms after each election with the CEO, I mean President, at the helm.

The President can still give direction of the nation but he will need to convince each individual within the newly elected party. This will instil democracy within the government.
Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 6:44pm

Doesn't that just make it harder for people to know how prospective politicians are going to vote on issues in parliament? The people already have a choice between independents and part members. They choose to vote for party members because they want to vote for a set of policies and the parties remove most of the risks introduced by uncertainties about the people involved. There is nothing at all in our constitution about parties, or the prime minister. We could ahve the system you described if people voted that way.

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 7:19pm

The individuals CV would have their beliefs illustrated.

Policy change's or addition's would be argued in parlaiment and 51% passes the bill. The president makes the final decision based on whether it is allowed to pass or not. This makes the President the fail safe switch. The president is generally voted in for the direction that he wants to take the country, so when judging these policy changes he will be able to take that direction into account.

You really need to get the concept of not having political party's.

Smiley

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 7:24pm

By becoming a republic it allows us to change the structure and the foundations of democracy modernising it for today and the future. This allows us to change the system to suit for example, how we vote.
Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 7:58pm

The individuals CV would have their beliefs illustrated.

How many pages would it be? And would you expect people to actually read it?

By becoming a republic it allows us to change the structure and the foundations of democracy modernising it for today and the future. This allows us to change the system to suit for example, how we vote.

We have already made significant changes to how we vote without becoming a republic. They are separate issues.

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 8:40am

In our modern society it is possible, with technology, to change how we vote. People will vote based on how much interest they have in voting. If they are interested enough they will read pages and pages about the people they plan to vote for. But if they are disinterested they may just read the candidates beliefs in certain areas. I believe you personally Freediver would read all the pages because it is your interest to do so.

Even today people will go to vote and hardly any of them would know the policies or the beliefs of each party or even the candidate they vote for. John Howard would never have been voted for if he focused on GST, yet we now have GST.

They are not seperate issues Freediver. Anything that is part of the system is the same. Democracy is all about voting and giving the people the choice.

If you were running for environment minister you would display your Green Shift Tax Policy as your belief. Can you tell me what todays environment ministers personal belief is when it comes to GST (as an example). Of course you can't because you can't ask him.
Smiley

IP Logged

Jamie

For King Party

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 9:53pm

Australia shouldn't become a republic but it shoud ditch liz as the Australian Monarch and instead I'll be the King of Australia.

In fact I think I'll start a political party just for that purpose, it'll be the "For King" party.

IP Logged

AusNat 14/88
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 10:15pm

Jamie wrote on Jun 26th, 2007 at 9:53pm:
Australia shouldn't become a republic but it shoud ditch liz as the Australian Monarch and instead I'll be the King of Australia.

In fact I think I'll start a political party just for that purpose, it'll be the "For King" party.

Sorry mate position is already taken. Wink Grin Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 38
Send Topic Print