Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Dioxins in Sydney Harbour fish ... (Read 5644 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Dioxins in Sydney Harbour fish ...
Reply #60 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 12:31pm

There's a nice new Wetsuit out that is banded Black & White striped like a Krait SeaSnake.
This principle works upon the Shark's vision that is weak in 'contrast' and is much like what Zebra's use.
Apparently it works - so far.

It's a shame that Human's aren't intelligent enough to understand animals enough  in order to co-exist by 'mastery' and instead 'destroy' them.

If there is a big Shark in the water, I don't go in. Simple.
Not until I can find a safer way to do so...
...without having to kill/destroy it.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #61 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 2:11pm

Gnads wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 11:25am:

So by buying that HALAL meat you are unwittingly or not putting money into the hands of Muslim/Islamic  organisations & I bet some of that ends up supporting
terrorists.

I won't be doing it in future.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #62 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 2:18pm

Sophia wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 11:33am:
I only buy fish from our local fishmonger, whom says it's all Australian fish, but now I am worried, and, I have to ask, what part of Oz it comes from! Shocked
And also, all that gel capsules of krill/clamari/omega 3 oil, in bottles, one has to ask where it came from also!

Why do you think I keep cats??? Three of them ???

I give them each a small portion of fish I'm about to fry, and if two out of three of them turn their nose up ~ then I toss the fish into the neighbour's swimming pool to sink to the bottom.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #63 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 2:25pm

Sophia wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 11:35am:
Something I recall, that sharks go for bright colours, such as yellow, and also anything or anyone, that makes sudden movements.

Correct! Don't wear yellow or any bright coloured swimming gear.

The Great White that just killed a 50yr old fellow at Byron Bay never intended to kill him. Totally innocent.

This shark had every opportunity to tear this fellow to shreds and swallow him in comfortable portions ... but even after tasting blood ~ lots of it ~ it swam away.

Everyone knows that sharks take an initial bite to analyse the suitability of a prospective meal.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 5:45pm

Quote:
Something I recall, that sharks go for bright colours, such as yellow, and also anything or anyone, that makes sudden movements.

Anything bright and reflective (eg a watch face, or a white strip on your clothes) could get mistaken for a fish in dirty water.

Quote:
It's been observed time and again that a shark will swim through a crowd of people swimming at a beach before then biting a certain person.

This is no different to me shooting a certain fish out of a school of them. It would not be very obvious to an onlooker why I chose that specific one.

Quote:
Sharks get inside them all the time .... they(the nets) kill more innocent marine animals like turtles, dolphins & whales.

Sharks are also innocent.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #65 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 6:52pm

freediver wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 5:45pm:
Sharks are also innocent.

Let's not get carried away with this. Next we'll be saying sharks are cute and cuddly.

Pelagic white-tip sharks are genuine man-eaters. They are the piranhas of the oceans. They'll eat the meat off a man's legs like we strip the chicken pieces off a shishkebab.

Bullsharks up the rivers will go for swimmer knowing full well it's not a seal or a turtle.

Tiger sharks, mako, hammer-heads ... they'll pull you off a surf board and snack on you because we're good eatin'.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #66 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 9:42pm

The ocean is the shark's home, as land is ours.
Do sharks come into our territory? Yet we go into theirs.
We do have chips, and flake in our dining area, so I guess, if we go in the water, it's a sharks dining area, right?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #67 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 10:23pm

Basically if you thrash about for many Shark species, it excites them a tad, some more than others.
The Tiger Shark prefers a prey that doesn't move as much - being a scavenger, it prefers something 'dead' looking.

Most Sharks hone in on the smell of urine/wee wee in the water as a person can thus actually smell like an animal.
This was the case for one South African Surfer who survived x3 Great White Attacks (once with two at the same time!  Shocked) - the reason why they always chose him amongst the others is because he Wee-Wee a lot in the water.

Being fully clothed (ie: shoes, socks, long pants) does help to nullify the smell of skin a lot.

Sharks are colour-blind, they only see things in contrast of bright & dark.

Most GWShark attacks in WA have been via Scuba Divers 'spearfishing', which is legal in WA. The dead fish attracting the Sharks. On one occasion, such Scuba Spearo's returned to the same spot the following year after they lost a mate to a GWShark and were (obviously  Roll Eyes) attacked again.

Certain Beaches are known 'hot spots' for Shark activity, with Sharks hanging off the 'Points' for some 'oxygenation' - but many 'Surfers' flaunt the 'bravado' of surfing such places and basically just 'ask for it', although they insist the Sharks should be culled away.

Education is the main advantage, especially getting to know the area you are about to swim/dive in.
The lady at Tathra may have been better off not to become isolated, let alone swimming at the Dawn/Dusk periods.
The Navy Diver who got attacked in Sydney Harbour: the place was known by locals as a feeding spot for Bulls at Dusk.
Lady in QLD who got taken by Bullsharks, wadding in knee-deep water with her dog in an 'estuary' entrance which are common 'hotspots' for shark activity especially when the tide is going out.

Me? Well when snorkling off Port Lincoln at 5 metres deep, I suddenly found myself with a Kingfish and his 3 wives hugging me closely I could touch them. Then I remembered being in Gordons Bay (Scuba) in Sydney when surrounded by a Baitball of fish (sounded like a chandelier moving about) for 'protection' from the attacking KingFish.
So I decided to move closer to shore - just in case.

WA & SthAust Great Whites are a different breed of Shark to those of the Tasman Sea, although they both mix around Tasmania, they never interbreed. I consider the Tasman Sea Great Whites a bit more 'placid' ...maybe because there are more ORCA to keep them 'humble'. Wink?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #68 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 8:40am

Sophia wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 9:42pm:
The ocean is the shark's home, as land is ours.

Nope. That's PC orthodoxy.

Humans belong everywhere ~ even in the skies at 37,000 feet travelling at 750mph.

We have no fur on our bodies precisely because we came from the coastal waters where fur would have slowed our progess through the water as we hunted.

Do sharks come into our territory?

They sure do. Bullsharks can be found miles up rivers looking for a bit of 'Long Pig' (that's us) to nibble on.

Yet we go into theirs.

Several million tons of food stuffs are thrown overboard from ships, boats, dingies, etc that sharks feed upon. We pay our dues for being out there.

We do have chips, and flake in our dining area, so I guess, if we go in the water, it's a sharks dining area, right?

Correct. Chips and small flake for them too, but not us.  Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print