Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mike Gibson death .. (Read 2153 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Mike Gibson death ..
Sep 26th, 2015 at 2:29pm

Despite him being a Leftwinger I used to read 'Gibbo's newspaper columns on general subjects, and enjoyed his Talkback radio shows.

He was the last person I would have guessed would eventually commit suicide, but that's exactly what he did last Wednesday - at only age 74.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Mike Gibson death ..
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 2:45pm

Reports suggest Mike Gibson victim of depression
Friday 25 September, 2015

With the media and sports world still reeling from the death of Mike Gibson this week, The Daily Telegraph is reporting one of the greats of Australians sports journalism suffered depression and took his own life.

Gibson reportedly lapsed into depression amidst a relationship breakup, property disputes and a lack of demand professionally.

Gibson was found dead in his Central Coast home by his brother on Wednesday.

Mike Gibson began his media career as a print journalist covering greyhound racing and rugby league, then moved to radio, joining George Moore on the 2SM Morning show in 1976, before switching to 2GB in 1979.

He became a household name in the 1980s when he hosted Wide World of Sports with Ian Chappell but at 75 was in a deep depression.

Jeff Kennett Chair of Beyond Blue joined John Stanley and Garry Linnell on 2UE this morning following calls from listeners thankful the issue of suicide is now discussed publicly.

Jeff Kennett told the show it’s not uncommon for older Australians to take their lives.

Listen to Jeff on 2UE this morning and remember if you or anyone you know is suffering my depression or anxiety you can call Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Life Line 13 11 14.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/reports-suggest-mike-gibson-victim-depression © Radioinfo.com.au

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 3:22pm

I very much doubt he was suffering from clinical depression as opposed to 'situational' depression.

He knew what he was doing.

From being a public figure all of his public life, he simply couldn't face the fact that he was now redundant and was no longer considered a viable commercial asset by his former media employers.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 3:25pm

Thats sad news, I hadnt realised it was a suicide.

I quite liked him as well!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 4:01pm

I vaguely remember him.

Some elderly people decide to end their lives when they find out they have an incurable disease that will only get worse.

Bring on euthanasia......death with dignity.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 6:18pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Sep 26th, 2015 at 3:25pm:
Thats sad news, I hadnt realised it was a suicide.

I quite liked him as well!

I was surprised a smart fellow like him couldn't think of sufficient reason for carrying on living.

He loved his footy.

He loved women (four times married)

He had his grown up children.

He had scores of friends he'd collected over a life-time in the media.

He had money.

Some of the articles I've read say he just couldn't cope with no one wanting his professional services any more.

Same thing happened to Ron Casey - and more lately John Laws. 'Lawsey' still has a spot on 2SM but nobody listens to him anymore as he's gone WAY past his Use By Date.

And then there's the indestructible Bob Rogers - still chugging along at 85 or thereabouts as a music host on 2CH.

Brian Henderson - there's another one ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print