Send Topic Print
HiFI (Read 1420 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
HiFI
Aug 1st, 2020 at 7:10pm

I splurged yesterday and got some new speakers.
They're actually 2nd hand but a speaker I've been wanting for may years. OMG they make music you've been listening to forever sound like it's the first time you've heard it.

IBI

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: HiFI
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 7:14pm

Well done.

I love good music

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:08pm

The other week at an estate sales I found a 1970 Panasonic stereo with turntable and speakers in almost pristine condition and I am enjoying playing vinyl on it.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:23pm

AiA wrote on Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:08pm:
The other week at an estate sales I found a 1970 Panasonic stereo with turntable and speakers in almost pristine condition and I am enjoying playing vinyl on it.

I love the look of vintage hifi gear

IBI

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:29pm

Now that I found the Panasonic I am on the lookout for a vintage Pioneer.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:32pm

Here is the one I found. I paid USD25.00 for it:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:37pm

New toy.

unnamed_010.jpg (37 KB | 10 )
unnamed_010.jpg

IBI

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:44pm

Any sort of vintage heavy speaker has value in the USA. My wife was at a thrift shop and saw a vintage Fender-branded (yellow) amp for just a few dollars. She considered it but passed on the purchase and after I told her what it was worth she almost cried.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 3:52pm

Just as a matter of interest, how does your new speaker system sound compared to DAB+ sound which is pretty good on a decent receiver and better than FM ?

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 8:39pm

But so much for obsolete antiques - enter WiFi 6!!!!

What you need to know about Wi-Fi 6
-August 2020

Wi-Fi 6 is coming, and it promises faster streaming and better range than its predecessors.

Wireless networking is now as ubiquitous in our homes as kettles and toasters. We rely on wireless networking to stay in touch with friends and family, to work from home and to access entertainment over the plethora of streaming services available to us. Wi-Fi 6 vows to make all those things faster and more reliable.

What is Wi-Fi 6?
Wi-Fi 6 is the latest version of the wireless networking standard that's been in homes and offices for the last 20 years. Until now, the Wi-Fi Alliance has given wireless networking standards different names such as 802.11b or 802.11ac. The Wi-Fi Alliance has decided to simplify the naming and brand their latest version Wi-Fi 6. But if you're used to the old-style naming system, it will also be known as 802.11ax.

Plus, they've decided to retrospectively rename all the previous versions as well. So 802.11ac – the last official version of Wi-Fi – has been rebranded Wi-Fi 5. That means, you'll begin to notice that other products using the older standards have also been renamed.

Why is Wi-Fi 6 better?
There are four major improvements that Wi-Fi 6 boasts over its forebears.

‣ It's faster. Wi-Fi 6 is designed to deliver transfer rates of 1.1Gb/s over the 2.4GHz band, using four streams and 4.8Gb/s over the 5GHz band with eight streams available. In real terms, that's about three times faster than Wi-Fi 5 (also known as 802.11ac). That speed bump will easily support streaming of 8K video.

‣ It's more power efficient. As well as making things faster, Wi-Fi 6 will draw less power than older versions of Wi-Fi. Not only will your wireless router cost a little less to run, devices such as tablets, smartphones and smart home gear will have better battery life too.

‣ It supports more connected devices. Back when Wi-Fi was first on the market, the number of devices we connected was quite modest. But it's not unusual for a home to have more than 25 with that set to reach almost 40 devices over the next couple of years. In offices and crowded environments especially, there will be a need to support more concurrent connections. Wi-Fi 6 routers communicate with more devices at once, which should keep connections strong even as more and more devices start demanding data.

‣ It's safer. Wi-Fi requires support for the latest wireless encryption standard, called WPA3. That's been optional with older gear but it's mandatory for new devices that support Wi-Fi 6.

What about older equipment?
If you choose to replace your Wi-Fi router with a model that supports Wi-Fi 6, your older devices will keep working. Wi-Fi 6 is backwards compatible with older Wi-Fi standards. So even if you upgrade your router, all of your older devices will continue to work just as they did before, however they won't receive the latest benefits of Wi-Fi 6.

Wi-Fi 6 represents a significant step forward for wireless networking. As we connect more devices to our home and office networks, faster, more robust and more secure Wi-Fi will become essential. Wi-Fi 6 offers a lot of benefits without forcing you to upgrade every device you own.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/about-wi-fi-6?utm_content=project+what-is-wi-fi-6&utm_...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 8:44pm

juliar wrote on Aug 2nd, 2020 at 3:52pm:
Just as a matter of interest, how does your new speaker system sound compared to DAB+ sound which is pretty good on a decent receiver and better than FM ?

I have it connected to my PC so when I listen to radio it's direct from website.
ABC classic sounds decent.

I'm just about to spend a very very silly amount of money on a DAC Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 12:44pm

juliar wrote on Aug 4th, 2020 at 8:39pm:
But so much for obsolete antiques - enter WiFi 6!!!!

Obsolete antiques like yourself eh socko Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 10:26pm

Trade in your old slow coach LoFi network on a new super WiFi system.

Wi-Fi generation comparison Wifi6 vs Wifi5 vs Wifi4

Wifi6 vs Wifi5 vs Wifi4

In the wireless world, Wi-Fi is the term that is similar in general to access of wireless. Although the fact is that this specific trademark is owned by Wi-Fi Alliance. This dedicated group takes care of Wi-Fi products certification when they meet the wireless standards of 802.11 set of IEEE. It is a bit complex in getting used to the standards naming scheme of IEEE and to make the process of understanding it easier, some simpler names haves been introduced by Wi-Fi Alliance. Under this convention of naming,

Wi-Fi 4 is the name given to 802.11n
Wi-Fi 5 is for 802.11ac
Wi-Fi 6 is for 802.11ax.

Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
802.11n is the first standard in which MIMO is specified and usage is allowed by this in two frequencies- 5GHz and 2.4GHz having speeds ranging to 600Mbps.

When the term dual band is used by vendors of wireless LAN, it reflects the ability of data delivering athwart the two frequencies.

Wi-Fi 4 is the successor of Wi-Fi 3 i.e. IEEE 802.11g. Introduction of MIMO has taken place in this Wi-Fi standard along with beamforming.

However, testing of interoperability has not been done yet. Previous versions legacy fallbacks was also supported by it and bandwidths that is support are 40 MHz and 20 MHz It is also possible to achieve upto 150Mbps data rates due to higher bandwidth and use of MIMO.

70 meters is the range in indoor that could be supported by devices of WiFi-4 and in outdoor environments, it reaches about 250 meters. Wi-Fi 4 devices that offer support to MIMO configurations include 4T4R and 2T3R. The modulation schemes used in this are QPSK, BPSK, 64QAM and 16QAM.

Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
The wireless routers that are used in many homes at present are likely to have 802.1ac compliance operating in the frequency space of 5GHz.

The data rates supported by this standard are up to 3.46Gbps with MIMO where speed is boosted and error is reduced by multiple antennas on the receiving and sending devices.

This Wi-Fi standard stands as the first one in which feature of multi-user MIMO has been introduced. On account of multi-user MIMO, higher bandwidths addition, more modulation schemes and spatial streams, higher throughput is supported by WiFi-5.

5GHz is its operating frequency and it offers support to modulation schemes of single carrier (CCK, DSSS), multi-carrier and types of baseband modulation (QPSK, BPSK, 256QAM and 64QAM).

Bandwidths of several channels are supported including 160 MHz, 20 MHz, 80 MHZ and 40 MHz Maximum data rate of 6.93 Gbps is also supported by Wi-Fi 5 along with approx. 80m of coverage range and 3 antennas. Multi-user as well as single user transmissions are also supported by this Wi-Fi standard.

Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
802.11ax is also termed as WLAN of high efficiency since it aims at enhancing WLAN deployments performance in the scenarios that are dense such as airports and sports stadiums while it still operates in the spectrum of 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

About 4X of improvement is targeted by the group in throughput in comparison to 802.11ac and 802.11n via utilization of spectrum that is more efficient.

In comparison to the legacy Wi-Fi networks including Wi-Fi 3, Wi-Fi 4, Wi-Fi 5 etc. it offers greater range of coverage and higher speed.

In both downlink and uplink directions in Wi-Fi 6, introduction of concept of OFDMA has taken place.

Beamforming, MU-MIMO, OFDM symbol of longer size, 1024-QAM, more spatial streams, scheduling of uplink resources with no contention etc. are the features introduced in this Wi-Fi generation.

BSS coloring is the other specific feature present in this Wi-Fi generation. It is also referred as High frequency WLAN (HEW) on account of performance of high efficiency. Wi-Fi 6 generation offers better network capacity, efficiency, user experience and performance at reduced latency.

Comparison : Wifi6 vs Wifi5 vs Wifi4

https://networkinterview.com/wi-fi-generation-comparison-wifi6-vs-wifi5-vs-wifi4...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print