Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How/When Will It End For Boris? (Read 1056 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

How/When Will It End For Boris?
Jul 7th, 2022 at 2:58pm

Boris Johnson vows to fight on despite resignations and calls to go

Boris Johnson is fighting to stay on in No 10 despite his support collapsing in another dramatic day of resignations.

The PM was defiant despite many previously-loyal supporters - including Priti Patel and Grant Shapps - calling for him to step down on Wednesday.

Welsh Secretary Simon Hart became the latest cabinet minister to quit, while Attorney General Suella Braverman launched a leadership challenge.

But the PM insisted he had a "colossal mandate to keep going" from voters.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: How/When Will It End For Boris?
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 3:22pm

What is the point of Boris Johnson?
Ed West   6 July 2022

However badly Boris Johnson’s career ends, it will surely be a better finale than that of his great-grandfather, the Turkish journalist, editor and liberal politician Ali Kemal. Almost exactly a century ago, following the trauma of defeat and the end of the Ottoman Empire, Kemal was attacked by a mob of soldiers, hanged from a tree, his head smashed in with cudgels before being beaten to death. I can’t imagine that the Tory backbenchers will go that far.

There is something charming and colourful about Johnson’s background, the mixture of Turkish, Russian, Jewish and even a Circassian slave just a few generations back (according to Boris Johnson, and if you can’t trust his version of events, who can you trust?). Just like David Cameron, he is also descended from George II, the last king of England to fight in battle, via a mistress.

As Rod Liddle once put it, Boris is ‘the esoteric product of millennia of Eurasian toff miscegenation’, and that’s part of the attraction. It explains his ease with people of different backgrounds, and his liberal persona as London Mayor, which felt like the real him, more than his later populist act.

Under the last three PMs, the Tory party has become utterly reliant on older voters, retirees and those with homes and pensions, and has almost entirely given up on the young, or on economic growth they desire.

There’s a whole new generation out there who hate progressivism, who don’t want social norms dictated by dysfunctional, miserable people, and yet the Tories have nothing to offer them. Everywhere there is a sense of overwhelming gloom about the state of the country and its lack of future. Boris Johnson, one of the funniest men to inhabit No. 10, has left his audience with a feeling of dread and sadness, a lesson perhaps in allowing newspaper columnists too much of a say.

As Johnson’s rule nears it end, it feels like everything is collapsing, from the health service to the police, even to a shared faith in institutions — and as a Conservative voter I’ve got no ‘buts’ to give in response, except perhaps that Corbyn would have been worse.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Linus

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 3:32pm

Boris was a nasty piece of work. Bully, misogynist, racist, elitist and two faced. His last girlfriend was heard screaming, "Get off me."

It wouldn't hurt to see him go.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 3:36pm

Linus wrote on Jul 7th, 2022 at 3:32pm:
Boris was a nasty piece of work. Bully, misogynist, racist, elitist and two faced. His last girlfriend was heard screaming, "Get off me."

Boris is ‘the esoteric product of millennia of Eurasian toff miscegenation’, and that’s part of the attraction. It explains his ease with people of different backgrounds, and his liberal persona as London Mayor, which felt like the real him, more than his later populist act. It’s why the charges of racism never stuck; he has his faults, but racial prejudice isn’t one of them.

IP Logged

Linus

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 3:59pm

Frank wrote on Jul 7th, 2022 at 3:36pm:

Boris is ‘the esoteric product of millennia of Eurasian toff miscegenation’, and that’s part of the attraction. It explains his ease with people of different backgrounds, and his liberal persona as London Mayor, which felt like the real him, more than his later populist act. It’s why the charges of racism never stuck; he has his faults, but racial prejudice isn’t one of them.

Frank, I'm not going to argue with you but might like to take a peek here:

https://www.businessinsider.nl/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist...

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 5:17pm

Boris is gone ... it's just a question of how quickly

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 6:42pm

Linus wrote on Jul 7th, 2022 at 3:59pm:
Frank wrote on Jul 7th, 2022 at 3:36pm:

Frank, I'm not going to argue with you but might like to take a peek here:

https://www.businessinsider.nl/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist...

I don't see how any of those comments are objectionable.

picanninnies with watermelon smiles - banter.

Colonialism ended too soon and has been, on the whole, beneficial - true

fear of and disdain for Islam in the face of what they do to unbelievers - the only normal reaction to Islam. Islam in the West - and in the world - IS a problem.

Sex - no worse than dozens of black gangta rappers. Far more amusing and witty,  though.

Pat her on the bottom and send her on her way - much better than Slap Down ma' Bitch or any number of god-awful ... er... BLACK bitch slappin'.

Teaching homosexuality 'and all the rest of it" (little did he know in 2000)  - IS appaling.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 6:49pm

Gorn!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 6:57pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-62072419

Summary

Boris Johnson is to resign as Conservative leader today,

the BBC is told, following further ministerial resignations this morning
But he will continue to serve as prime minister until the autumn
to allow a Tory leadership contest to take place.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 9:59pm

I just saw his resignation speech here live:

it was at about -28:00   on the bar below the video.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 10:06pm

https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/uk-boris-johnson-government-collapse-live-u...

Here is Johnson's resignation speech in full:

Good afternoon, everybody. Good afternoon. Thank you. Thank you. It is clearly now the will of the parliamentary Conservative party that there should be a new leader of that party and therefore a new prime minister, and I've agreed with Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of our backbench MPs, that the process of choosing that new leader should begin now, and the timetable will be announced next week.

And I have today appointed a Cabinet to serve -- as I will -- until a new leader is in place.

So I want to say to the millions of people who voted for us in 2019, many of them voting Conservative for the first time. Thank you for that incredible mandate -- the biggest Conservative majority since 1987, the biggest share of a vote since 1979.

And the reason I have fought so hard in the last few days to continue to deliver that mandate in person was not just because I wanted to do so, but because I felt it was my job, my duty, my obligation to you to continue to do what we promised in 2019.

And of course, I'm immensely proud of the achievements of this government -- from getting Brexit done to settling our relations with the continent for over half a century, reclaiming the power for this country to make its own laws in Parliament, getting us all through the pandemic, delivering the fastest vaccine rollout in Europe, the fastest exit from lockdown, and in the last few months, leading the West in standing up to Putin's aggression in Ukraine.

And let me say now, to the people of Ukraine, that I know that we in the UK will continue to back your fight for freedom for as long as it takes.

And at the same time in this country, we've been pushing forward a vast program of investment in infrastructure, in skills and technology -- the biggest in a century. Because if I had one insight into human beings, it is that genius and talent and enthusiasm and imagination are evenly distributed throughout the population. But opportunity is not. And that's why we must keep leveling up, keep unleashing the potential in every part of United Kingdom. And if we can do that, in this country, we will be the most prosperous in Europe.

And in the last few days, I've tried to persuade my colleagues that it would be eccentric to change governments when we're delivering so much, when we have such a vast mandate and when we're actually only a handful of points behind in the polls -- even in midterm after quite a few months and pretty relentless sledging -- and when the economic scene is so difficult domestically and internationally.

I regret not to have been successful in those arguments, and of course, it's painful, not to be able to see through so many ideas and projects myself. But as we've seen in Westminster, the herd instinct is powerful when the herd moves, it moves.

And my friends in politics, no one is remotely indispensable, and our brilliant and Darwinian system will produce another leader, equally committed to taking this country forward through tough times. Not just helping families to get through it, but changing and improving the way we do things -- cutting burdens on businesses and families and yes, cutting taxes, because that is the way to generate the growth and the income we need to pay for great public services.

And to that new leader, I say wherever he or she may be, I say I will give you as much support as I can. And to you, the British public -- I know that there will be many people who are relieved and perhaps quite a few will also be disappointed. And I want you to know how sad I am to be giving up the best job in the world. But them's the breaks.

I want to thank Carrie and our children to all members of my family who have had to put up with so much for so long. I want to thank the peerless British civil service for all the help and support that you have given our police, our emergency services, and of course, our fantastic NHS who at critical moment helped to extend my own period in office, as well as our armed services and our agencies that are so admired around the world and our indefatigable Conservative party members and supporters whose selfless campaigning makes our democracy possible.

I want to thank the wonderful staff here at Chequers -- to here at Number 10 -- and of course at Chequers and our fantastic prop force detectives, the one group by the way, who never leak. 

Above all, I want to thank you, the British public, for the immense privilege that you have given me. And I want you to know that from now on, until the new prime minister is in place, your interests will be served and the government of the country will be carried on.

Being Prime Minister is an education in itself. I've traveled to every part of the United Kingdom and in addition to the beauty of our natural world, I find so many people possessed of such boundless British originality and so willing to tackle old problems in new ways, that I know that even if things can sometimes seem dark now, our future together is golden.

Thank you all very much. Thank you.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 10:38pm

His party likely committed suicide for little reason.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton
Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 11:15pm

I have never found Boris to be all that good as a prime minister for Britain. He seems like the Trump of Britain.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 7:32am

There is only one reason the Conservative Party want him out. Re-electability. Scandals, most of which are paltry, guarantee his and the party's defeat.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2022 at 8:42am

Smiley

** Repeat Covid infections exercise our immune system in the same way that repeat concussions exercise our brain **

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print