Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
PICTURES & AVATARS (Read 25696 times)
sagepowder(Guest)

PICTURES & AVATARS
Jan 12th, 2007 at 3:49pm

Anyone know how I can put a picture next to my name?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2007 at 9:00pm by ozadmin »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: picture
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 3:56pm

UPDATE: see also this thread: http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1385880171

You need to sign up for an account. At the moment you are posting as a guest - you are not logged in. You should see a button that says register under the ozpolitic banner, or there is another link further up. Or just follow this link:

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?action=register

Once you have done that it should be obvious. If not, just ask again and tell us where you are up to.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2013 at 7:58pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 4:07pm

I've tried to post a picture - one of my own and pasted the URL into the space provided - but it hasn't worked.

Is that the way a "different" picture is posted beside your name?  If so I'll try again.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 4:13pm

Yep, that's how. Unfortunately there is no 'upload' option. You have to enter a URL to one that is already online. For those without a picture already online (you need one that is viewable by all members of the public), you can either inlcude it as an attachment to a post and get the URL by right clicking on the picture once it is uploaded, or you can email it to me and I will upload it for you. If you are really keen you can get a custom home page - see the members section. That is where I get mine from. Please shrink or trim the image to 65x65 pixels os smaller before uploading, as I suspect it may chew up bandwidth otherwise - checking that now.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2007 at 4:29pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 2:20pm

OK, after a lot of messing around, we have an option to upload avatars directly. Could you please give this a try and let me know how it works? There is a file size limit of 5kb and you can only upload jpg or gif files. Please reduce the file to 65x65 pixels or less, which should work out to around 2kb. You can do this in microsoft paint by adjusting the borders directly or via image -> attributes, or you can shrink it via image -> stretch/skew. You can load larger images, up to 5kb, but they will get shrunk to 65 pixels anyway. As I understand it, if you have a larger image then people on slow connections have to wait for the larger image to download and then it gets shrunk. Also, I think that the avatars get downloaded again every time a new forum page is loaded, so it isn't just a one-off thing. This is also true for avatar images stored externally.

If you want a large photo of yourself available, set up a custome home page: http://www.ozpolitic.com/members

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 5:04pm

I didn't want a photo of myself - just a picture to put beside my name.  It's all too complicated.  I'll ask for some help at home in the next couple of days.

My computer skills only extend so far, but thanks anyway - keep the notes there so I can get help to follow them shortly.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
How to post pics--
Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 2:02am

This is in response to the Aussie flags thread.

I've noticed some people are computer illiterate and are having trouble posting their Aussie flag suggestions... so I'm taking the liberty to explain how.

Step 1:
First off save the pic of your choice to your computer.

Step 2:
Second, go to this website: http://www.imageshack.us/

Step 3:
Third, click the 'choose' option. Click your pic of choice and click 'ok.' Once you do this, a file name should appear on the left hand side of the 'choose' button. Now, click 'host it.'

Step 4:
A list of links should appear on your screen. Highlight one of them and copy it.

Step 5:
Go back to the your post and paste the link wherever you please.

Step 6:
Highlight the link in your post and click the 'insert image' square which is situated above the smilies and sitting just above the 'underline' option. These symbols: [img]  should appear on either side of your link.

So now your done, your image of the Australian flag should be visible when you click 'post.' Hope it helps.  Cool

-DT

PS. I'm well aware that this is in the wrong section, freediver, but can you leave it here for the next few days until the oz flag thread disappears?

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: How to post pics--
Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 7:17pm

Thanks DT - that will come in very handy.  I have saved it as my success when posting pictures isn't terrific.  It will  definitely be put to good use shortly.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 11:45pm

That's alright mantra.

Btw, you might want to use that feature to add a pic in your profile. That is, of course, if you want one.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 7:32am

Yes I do want a pic.  I have made a couple of unsuccessful attempts prior to you posting that information.

But I will have another go today.     Embarrassed

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 9:47am

There should be an option in your profile to upload an avatar from your computer. View your profile, then click on modify, then go to options, then click on browse where it allows you to upload a picture. Make sure you tick the box above it. Also, the picture has to be 10kb or less. Let me know if you have trouble reducing the file size.

The old thread about avatars:

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168580980

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 11:28am

I have tried to edit my profile in order to insert a picture.  The password allocated to me last time by Ozadmin won't work to get me into my profile.  Because I automatically get logged in  when I come to this site - there's nowhere I can go to "login"  and then go to "forgotten your password".

Why won't my password work - and how can I get a new one.  Thanks.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 11:31am

You should be able to click on the profile button up the top, under the OzPolitic logo: ...

It should take you here:

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=mantra

There should be a 'modify' button to the right of your name there.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 1:51pm

Quote:
Yes I do want a pic.  I have made a couple of unsuccessful attempts prior to you posting that information.
But I will have another go today.

Have you tried posting a pic using the guidelines for this post? see if that works. If it does, you should be able to post a pic in your profile using the same method.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 4:31pm

When I get into my profile - it says edit profile.  But the password allocated to me doesn't work - so I can't get in and change it.

As I'm automatically signed in - the LOG IN doesn't appear - hence no access to FORGOTTEN MY PASSWORD.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print